2000 2.2 4L60E clicks in 1st and reverse

trox
08-30-2011, 02:49 PM
Recently rebuilt (no steels) after 165K. At first I had a minor clicking noise in first gear that goes away when it gets to 2nd gear. It also does it in reverse. After about 1200 miles the click has started getting worse (still in 1st only). I also noticed recently that I don't need to press the brake pedal to get it out of PARK. Is this a clue to this clicking noise? What could the clicking be? I'm pulling the trans next week and if it's something I can go in and fix, (if I know where to look), that would be great. Otherwise, I have a line on another trans with reasonbly low miles on it to replace it with.

MT-2500
09-01-2011, 06:31 AM
Recently rebuilt (no steels) after 165K. At first I had a minor clicking noise in first gear that goes away when it gets to 2nd gear. It also does it in reverse. After about 1200 miles the click has started getting worse (still in 1st only). I also noticed recently that I don't need to press the brake pedal to get it out of PARK. Is this a clue to this clicking noise? What could the clicking be? I'm pulling the trans next week and if it's something I can go in and fix, (if I know where to look), that would be great. Otherwise, I have a line on another trans with reasonbly low miles on it to replace it with.

I would make sure clicking is in transmission before pulling it.
2 or 4W?
Have you ckecked all the drive shaft joints?

trox
09-02-2011, 08:40 AM
It's 2 WD. I replaced the u joints when it went back together. They were pretty tight when I finally got them back together. I'm thinking trans because the noise stops as soon as second gear comes in. If I put it in low gear and start to roll, I hear it and I can go up to neutral while still moving. I the clicking still clicks in neutral, good chance its the drive shaft you think? I can put it up on jack stands and crawl under to get an idea too doing the same. Can I pull the drive shaft and run it in gear or will fluid pump out the tail shaft? I'll report back my results. Thanks MT.

MT-2500
09-02-2011, 11:18 AM
It's 2 WD. I replaced the u joints when it went back together. They were pretty tight when I finally got them back together. I'm thinking trans because the noise stops as soon as second gear comes in. If I put it in low gear and start to roll, I hear it and I can go up to neutral while still moving. I the clicking still clicks in neutral, good chance its the drive shaft you think? I can put it up on jack stands and crawl under to get an idea too doing the same. Can I pull the drive shaft and run it in gear or will fluid pump out the tail shaft? I'll report back my results. Thanks MT.

Check drive shaft and U joints first.

trox
09-03-2011, 02:01 PM
No luck with the u joints, the drive shaft turns in neutral by hand with no noise at all. Put in 1st or reverse and I can hear and feel the noise in the tail shaft housing. Not much in there but the speedo gear but it could be deeper inside. Unless there are any other thoughts before Tuesday, I'm pulling the trans to investigate. I'll let you know.

MT-2500
09-03-2011, 02:07 PM
No luck with the u joints, the drive shaft turns in neutral by hand with no noise at all. Put in 1st or reverse and I can hear and feel the noise in the tail shaft housing. Not much in there but the speedo gear but it could be deeper inside. Unless there are any other thoughts before Tuesday, I'm pulling the trans to investigate. I'll let you know.

Sounds like it is time to check inside transmission.
Check plantary gears for bad teeth or needle bearing.
Good luck and let us know how it goes.

trox
09-12-2011, 08:29 AM
Found the click noise. When I went back in to install the little filters for the solinoids on the valve body seperator plate, I put one of the small head (8 mil) bolts in the wrong position. These bolts are a little longer, and will, (trust me) go through the case and into the shell in the picture. I hope it shows up in this post. Getting a new shell today and will put her back together tonight. My symptoms were a clicking noise in 1st and reverse only with an occaisional clunk that was random. I think the clunk was the piece missing in the picture that would catch on something then lay back down flat. Otherwise the trans shifted well.

MT-2500
09-12-2011, 09:13 AM
Found the click noise. When I went back in to install the little filters for the solinoids on the valve body seperator plate, I put one of the small head (8 mil) bolts in the wrong position. These bolts are a little longer, and will, (trust me) go through the case and into the shell in the picture. I hope it shows up in this post. Getting a new shell today and will put her back together tonight. My symptoms were a clicking noise in 1st and reverse only with an occaisional clunk that was random. I think the clunk was the piece missing in the picture that would catch on something then lay back down flat. Otherwise the trans shifted well.

Thanks for posting back what you found.
The picture tells the story.
Glad you got it fixed.

Add your comment to this topic!