Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Do I need a transmission?

Hooyah
08-30-2011, 12:24 AM
I purchased this 97 Buick Lesabre Limited for $300 total from an old friend of mine. Cheap because it needed a bit of work done to it. I have cleaned and replaced everything on the engine from the head gaskets up, all of the gaskets, fuel pressure regulator, plugs and wires, fuel filter, air filter, and oil+filter. Also fixed the ABS system.

Now for the transmission (automatic). It jurks hard when shifting into any gear from park. Also it jerks a bit when shifting while driving. When going up hills it is very slippy between 3rd and 4th, like it doesn't know which gear it wants to be in. I have not changed the fluid or filter yet and the fluid looks quite brown. I have been looking stuff up for the last 6 hours and I'm still trying to decide what the best course of action is.

I can replace a transmission for about $450 in two days so it's not a major issue if I need a new one. I would just like to save some money if it could be something else. New tranny or something else??

Thanks

HotZ28
08-30-2011, 10:31 AM
The jerking sensation when shifting from park into gear could be the trans/engine mounts, have you checked those? What speed are you having a problem going up hills when the trans shifts between 3rd & 4th? If the fluid is brown, it would be a good idea to drop the pan & change the fluid/filter.

Tech II
08-30-2011, 10:49 AM
Has the vehicle been scanned for codes?

Don't like the color of that fluid....just dropping the pan and changing the filter will only get rid of about 60% of it......

Hooyah
08-30-2011, 12:31 PM
I have a scan tool but it doesnt check readiness. I have fixed all the codes that came up so far. I will do a complete flush if you guys think it's worth a try. I know how to flush out the converter, did it on my vette last year.

I was thinking about tranny mounts too. I'll crawl under and check those thanks. If I'm going up a hill under 2k rpm it starts spazzing. If it's above that (which means im in 3rd gear usually) it doesn't act up as much.

btw the car has 166,000 miles on it.

Hooyah
08-30-2011, 07:13 PM
I pulled the pan off an hour ago and I found plastic shards in the pan?!!! Im guessing thats bad. Also the tranny mount was chewed all to hell so I will need one of those too.

Here is a picture of what came out

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh65/nemesispc/DSC00328.jpg

maxwedge
08-30-2011, 07:40 PM
Looks like thrust washer material, based on that and symptoms, looks like it should come apart.

Hooyah
08-30-2011, 07:53 PM
Thanks for the reply. Will I have to replace the transmission or just the washer?

I do have one thing to add. Sometimes the vehicle throughs a TPS code after shifting out of park. I didn't think anything of it till a mechanic friend of mine said it could cause the miss shifting.

maxwedge
08-31-2011, 08:32 AM
Correct, a skewed tps can cause erratic shifting, the thrust washer usually requires a complete trans disassembly to repair.

Jrs3800
08-31-2011, 09:43 AM
Replace the TPS first.... The 97 is a bit of an odd duck when it comes to the TCC apply and can become very funky if the TPS is not spot on... This will affect fueling, Load characteristics and shift points... So that is #1....

The shards you see there...... Its never good, and it depends on where it came from... I found chunks of thrust washer in mine as well, Trans has done another 110,000 miles... Currently at 190,000....

Do the TPS, and the trans mount( drivers front trans mount is normally the first to go bad ).... Then see what you have...

Hooyah
09-01-2011, 02:15 PM
Alright! I took it out for a test drive after a standard pan drop+fluid, new tps sensor and one new transmission mount. I jerked hard as usual when I put it in gear (from park) to leave. It drove a lot better but it still kicks when going up hill @ about 1500 rpm. It's trying to downshift to 3rd but cant sometimes. Anyways it's not every time and it's hitting a lot less hard now. When I got back and shifted through the gears again it went in a lot smoother.

So now it just has the small issue of not downshifting all the time. Do you guys think this is ok for now? It is very drivable.

Jrs3800
09-01-2011, 02:45 PM
One more thing for you to check... Its very possible that the Vac Modulator on the trans could be shot... Remove the vac line and see if there is any trans fluid in the line, as well turn the modulator nipple down and see if any fluid comes out... If there is trans fluid in the vac line or coming out of the modulator then the Modulator is shot and needs to be replaced... As well check the vac lines to the Modulator... A bad modulator can cause a harsh shift as with lower vacuum the line pressure will rise causing a hard Park to Reverse or reverse to drive shift...

trannyman52
09-02-2011, 01:37 AM
that washer ,,,was between ,,,the second clutch drum and chain hub,,distribution assy,,,,transmission end play now out of wack,,,it will still work but??????

Jrs3800
09-04-2011, 01:49 PM
Yep the million dollar question.... For how long...lol

The last 4T60E I rebuilt for my Van, upon disassembly I found it to be missing 2 thrust washers... The worst part is that this trans had a rebuild somewhere along the line evidenced by the Alto clutches and the reman torque converter...

If the OP plans on rebuild that trans I would do it soon... If not then drive it till it dies...

trannyman52
09-05-2011, 09:37 PM
Strange that thrusts fail like that,,,,,it is a fact that this transmission starves for oil under certain conditions,,,,,this transmission should be over-filled by a quart or so to protect it ,,,,

Jrs3800
09-06-2011, 06:56 AM
iirc the 4T60E and 4T65E starve for trans fluid in hard right hand turns, and or entering a clover leaf... They can starve for fluid as the ATF runs away from the filter... I also like to over fill by a tad as well...

Hooyah
09-08-2011, 10:17 PM
Thanks for all the help. Im just going to rid it till it dies. I always have more than 1 car anyways. If it goes i'll just drive my 04 Cobra :)

trannyman52
09-09-2011, 01:16 AM
if you ever installed a sk from transgo for a 440T4,,,,advised to fill for over an inch higher than the full mark...still like this advise for electronic version......

Add your comment to this topic!