Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

'99 Venture fuel line leak

yaz4real
08-27-2011, 05:42 PM
Typical smell of fuel found fuel dripping from one of the three points with connectors as the photo indicates. Fuel is dripping from the engine side line close to the connector. Neither three look that good.

Some connectors look to be attached to a metal line, some with nylon.

Question is: Are the lines going forward repairable from standard auto part stores metal/nylon line or is it dealer items only?

Intermediate tools, work space and repair skills.

sverker
08-28-2011, 03:12 PM
Dorman has a product line for repairing fuel lines, with connectors and tools for nylon hoses. It's supposed to be possible to put the hose in boiling water for a few minutes to make it soft enough to install the connector but that didn't work for me so I believe the tool is needed. Check with the local workshops if they have this tool to make a replacement line for you.

merc81
09-13-2011, 01:01 PM
I can't see from your photo, but the lines connect at several points under the van, then the lines run up under the steering linkage, around the frame and up near the vacuum boost tank. You can cut into them anywhere before the quick disconnect at the fuel rail and use the right size fuel hose/clamps to make a good repair. Use two clamps on the pressure fittings, but it isn't much of a problem. The pressure runs 50psi. so choose the right hose.
John

yaz4real
09-13-2011, 04:35 PM
The metal line connecting the nylon fitting/connector from the fuel filter was the culprit. The metal line had rusted at and into the connector. This left about four inches of 3/8 "metal line from the engine side.

The repair: Shortened the nylon hose from the fuel filter line. Metal barb fitted the end and added rubber pressure hose to the other. I was able to slip on most of the new pressure rubber line on to this 3/8" line (extremely tight to start) and use pressure clamps. Zip tied appropriately

Recheck after one week looks good.

Add your comment to this topic!