Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

fuel pump issues (still)

Allegretto
08-25-2011, 10:34 PM
i have been dealing with this issue for the longest now. 2001 bravada. fuel pump seems to be burned out but it is not. i removed it and connected power to it and it ran with no problem. reinstalled and started the car. it worked fine, but after i turned the car off and came back after a few hours, the truck would crank but the fuel pump would not run or prime at all. i replaced the battery with a new one and it started right up. i turned the car off and on a few times just to make sure and even went around the block. let the car sit with the battery disconnected and came back later in the day and guess what? wouldnt start. i know the fuel pump is getting power i tested the wired and even rewired the harness. but yet its still giving me issues. everything else works fine, the radio comes on windows, locks no problem. the car does have an aftermarket remote start that was professionally installed but like i said, the fuel pump seems to only want to work on its own. ive checked the relay and its good the battery is brand new, and the fuel pump does work. i dont have a clue why its giving me this issue. PLEASE, if anybody has any info as to what this can be i would greatly appreciate any and all help. i think something might be draining the battery when the car is off or maybe something else. im at a loss and ive racked my brain trying to figure this out. thanks for ANY tips, info etc...

Tech II
08-26-2011, 09:09 AM
well, first thing you do, is get a fuel pressure gage on it when it won't start..........if no pressure, disconnect harness at tank and check for power with test light....should light for 2 seconds with key on....remain lit while cranking.....now reconnect....still no pressure, but you have power, so you need a new pump....

If pressure is lower than 60psi, by just a few psi, try a new fuel filter....

Chris Stewart
08-26-2011, 08:03 PM
I agree with Tech II,
While the test light is connected, turn the key switch On & Off a few times and let some time pass between turning the key switch On & Off too to be sure it's not a key switch problem.

Allegretto
08-27-2011, 09:06 PM
yeah i will try that asap but idk what i might be because if i jiggle the wires that connect to the pump it turns on. ill get back with you guys as soon as i try it thanks again!

brcidd
08-27-2011, 09:35 PM
There is no issue here-- your fuel pump is toast - One of the basic failure modes of a dc motor is dead spots at the brushes-- any jiggle, bump, ratle will kick it into running. An intermittent fuel pump is a failed fuel pump--not hard to understand. Blower motor act the same way- they don't start running unless you kick it-- it is failed as well.

Don't believe me? Then next time fuel pump is inop-- meerly whaaaap the bottom of fuel tank and see if it "kicks on" Why you would pull out a fuel pump and put the same one back in is beyond me....

I had a guy whaap his tank 10 times over 3 months because he was too cheap to spring for a new FP.

Allegretto
08-28-2011, 12:19 PM
i think ill just take your word for it and buy a new pump, i was just trying to exhaust every avenue before having to buy one (because money is tight) but you sound convincing....thanks a lot and i will update when i get it installed thanks again guys

Add your comment to this topic!