Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

need help car wont move

mika3585
08-25-2011, 01:07 PM
okay today i was driving my car on the highway and it was slowing down fast and i pulled over and now it wony move its like its stuck in neutral i have a 1995 geo prizm 5 spreed manual car what to do i don't what to do and is a vw passat 1999 or a audi a4 2002 is a good car and what is a stage clutch

PressKean
08-31-2011, 05:05 AM
Hello. In order for anyone to help you in this case, you'll need to provide more details. First things first, can you start your car? If you can't, check your starter or your battery. If your car can start just fine, then this is where you'll need to read my comments.

1. Check whether your RPM is rising whenever you step the accelerator. If it does,
2. Check if you're handbrake is the one that has problem. It's the same concept as any electronics. Your handbrake may be broken and even when you let it go, it might still be applying the brakes.
3. Check if your transmission is working properly. Sometimes, if a vehicle is old and doesn't get serviced properly, there would be problem shifting gears. Is your car manual or auto?

Does you car budge a little higher when you accelerate? If that's the case, your handbrakes might be the problem..

shorod
08-31-2011, 07:01 AM
Since you mention that your car is a manual, you might have a clutch that is shot. If it's a manual clutch (not hydraulic) it may be adjustable, but if it's so far out of adjustment that your car won't move, chances are pretty good it needs something more than just an adjustment. Were there signs of clutch slippage leading up to this issue?

Another area to check would be for a broken CV joint or half shaft axle. With the front differential in the transaxle, if one of the joints or shafts breaks, the differential will keep the car from moving much, if any.

-Rod

jdmccright
08-31-2011, 07:59 AM
To answer the second half of his run-on question, I think that the VW or the Audi are huge steps up from the Metro. Reliability is average for both but the Audi would be more fun. Insurance for both would be much higher too, especially the Audi. Finally, the VW might not need it, but most Audis require premium gasoline. Make sure you can afford the higher fuel costs when making this big of a step.

I'm guessing you resolved the no-go problem...hope it worked out.

PressKean
09-01-2011, 04:50 PM
Hello. Is your problem already solved? I'm pretty sure we'll love to know if it has been solved.

mika3585
03-27-2012, 07:21 PM
yes the car did get fix around halloween last year and now i lose the engine because if money problem and trying to fix it keep on being push back by my dad when i keep trying to get it fix do now i am getting a new car

ricebike
03-27-2012, 09:58 PM
heythankyoufortakingthetimetoupdatethisthreadwerea llyappreciateitverymuchandespeciallythatyoudidntgo intodetailonwhatthefixwasandhowyoukilledyourengine imguessingyoubrokethetimingorheadgasketright

mika3585
03-28-2012, 06:30 PM
heythankyoufortakingthetimetoupdatethisthreadwerea llyappreciateitverymuchandespeciallythatyoudidntgo intodetailonwhatthefixwasandhowyoukilledyourengine imguessingyoubrokethetimingorheadgasketright

no my dad keep pushing back my oil change. and the lifters needed replace so when i fanilly got a oil change there was oil stabilizer was put in and not taking out so with that it killed it

Add your comment to this topic!