Page updated on 11-17-2017

Resin kits/manufacturers to be careful of?

racer93
08-23-2011, 05:22 PM
Hey all,

I'm starting to think more about MM kits than I have in the past. I'm looking specifically at the Mazda MXR-01 from S27, the F1 GTRs of S27 and some of the offerings of LMM (Bentley Speed 8s) and Renaissance (Aston Marton DBR9, the one with open doors). Can anyone give insight on any of these? I've seen one great build of the MXR-01 here so far.

I'd appreciate any input/warnings/advice on any of these kits. Thanks so much!

Daniel

icon_modeler
08-23-2011, 09:49 PM
Hey all,

I'm starting to think more about MM kits than I have in the past. I'm looking specifically at the Mazda MXR-01 from S27, the F1 GTRs of S27 and some of the offerings of LMM (Bentley Speed 8s) and Renaissance (Aston Marton DBR9, the one with open doors). Can anyone give insight on any of these? I've seen one great build of the MXR-01 here so far.

I'd appreciate any input/warnings/advice on any of these kits. Thanks so much!

Daniel

Well,,,,,, I'll start by saying I have never built any of the examples you have listed but I do own many of each of these companies kits. For my money LMM is the best when it comes to the sports car scene. You should also consider Profile 24 and Fisher. But LMM is still the best in my opinion. Just to give you a little insight into why I think that. A few years ago I did a project to teach myself a 3D cad program. In 1/12th scale I spent 10 months developing a computer model of the Jaguar XJR-14 (Nearly the same car as your Mazda MXR-01) During my development of my model I used a LMM XJR-14 Group C version, a Studio 27 XJR-14 Group C version as well as a Studio 27 XJR-14 IMSA version. I also used a Studio 27 MXR-01 and a LMM MXR-01 for reference. There are just some very basic body shapes S-27 missed on these two examples, (the XJR & MXR) when compaired side by side with the LMM and then with photos. I suppose that just as in the MM F1 kits these MM kit makers are capable of making mistakes as well and would imagine none of them can claim to have made every kit in their line perfect. If I had to rate these kit makers I would list them in this order.

1) MFH, how could we forget them, The best but also able to make a turd see their Porsche 550 kit that the body door lines are completely wrong on.
2) LMM, I truly have not seen a bad kit from them but I'm sure they exist
3) S-27, Missed shapes and the use of the same (genaric) parts in kits of different cars
4) Fisher, Sometimes soft body details and generally lacking details over the above mentioned.
5) Renaissance, Profile 24 =, both are capable of nice kits and both can turn out a turd. The early P-24 kits that I have are very rough for fit and require a lot of attention to get the parts to fit nicely. I was going to buy a Ren. Pug 908 from LeMans until I saw that I could almost see thru the body casting in a few spots. This is also the company that carved it's master for the DBR-9 from a Panoz LMP car. how accurate do you think that is??

Like I have said I have examples from all these companies and you should make your own opinion before buying. If possable, being able to inspect a kit before purchase is a bonus. I was lucky that I could do that until lately because I bought all of my LMM, Ren, Fisher kits from MCM, they are now closed. Try and find WIPs of the subjects you are interested in and see what the kit looks like raw.

For the kits you have listed.

I would buy LMM for the MXR-01 if you can find one.

The F1GTR I have read that the P-24 version of this car is very nice and that they also have a full detail version though they both may be hard to find. I don't have either of these or any example of this car in my collection so can not comment much more then that.

For the Bentley LMM is the only game in town. I've seen a couple offered up over on F1M but this again is going to be a hard one to find.

For the DBR-9 I would consider a MFH before the Ren version just because I know the MFH quality and the fact that the Ren Master for the DBR was created from a Panoz.

Good luck!

Il dottore
08-25-2011, 02:59 PM
Just don`t buy the renaissance aston martin, go for the MFH one. I`ve checked them both and there is no comparison. The body of the MFH aston is so much better. It`s not worth buying the renaissance one just for the open doors.

The bentley i haven`t seen yet, but i have seen other LMM cars and they look great, so i think you can`t go wrong with the bentley.

The Mclaren, well i can send you pics of mine if you won`t me to. I bought the modellers one, and the studio 27 is the same body. Better idea, mail Lesley, he hase got a studio 27 Mclaren, he can help you with that one.

Of topic, great taste you`ve got. Besides buying the Mclaren, i`m ordering the Aston as a birthday present and the Bentley is also on my wishlist. But first the reji RS 200, that one will look great besides the 6R4.:iceslolan

racer93
08-25-2011, 07:47 PM
Thanks for the replies and info. It's very informative and helpful.

I hadn't "forgotten" MFH, I wasn't considering them for what I mentioned because I was looking at the DBR9 with the open doors. But, since Doc mentioned that it's not worth it, I'll look at MFH's offerings!

I found one of the LMM MXR-01 (thanks, Doc!) and am hoping Kevin at Strada will be able to find one of the Bentleys. That would be pretty fab in my book.

jano11
08-26-2011, 11:28 AM
Get the Carrera 1/24 Aston DBR body kit, it's good, made of plastic and cheap.

lumpulus
08-26-2011, 12:13 PM
+1 to what Icon said....Unless you really have to have a certain subject, MFH and LMM is the way to go.

drunken monkey
08-26-2011, 04:54 PM
from what I have seen Le Mans Miniatures are a bit hit and miss too depending on subject matter.
for example; the full detail GT40 kit looks very tempting on paper but as LeeABC showed us (http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=949870), it is far from perfect.

And that is how it is with a lot of resin kits. How old the kit is will have an effect on the quality of the kit so more than picking a reliable kit maker, you have to look at each kit individually.

Add your comment to this topic!