Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1994 530i wont accelerate

topcat95060
08-22-2011, 10:33 PM
My 94 530i cut out while driving, and as I let up on the accelerator, I got just a bit of acceleration back. Stomping on the pedal caused it to cut out, but if I let it go to idle, it would run fine. It doesnt feel like a fuel pump issue, as there would be no acceleration at all, nor a cat clogged because I know what that feels like. If at idle and in neutral, I culd rev it to about 3000 rpm, but in gear it only would rev while letting up on the pedal, but not much. Yes, the check engine light came on as soon as this started, but no scanner is handy - if only my car ran more than 5 mph, I could run and get one! Does this sound familiar to anyone?

Tony Silva
08-23-2011, 12:28 AM
Throttle position sensor...but have the computer scanned first so you don't waste money....haha...I got 3 scanners...one at the shop, one in the trunk of my Mercedes and one in the 'junk drawer' of my kitchen.

topcat95060
08-23-2011, 09:39 PM
My thought too, but I am not that familiar with BMW's. Long gone are the days of code scanners in my kitchen drawers and a motor on my kitchen table being rebuilt. For some reason my wife gets all uppity about stuff like that...geez, women , right? They give and give and give, and sooner or later they want something back!

topcat95060
08-28-2011, 11:53 AM
After further Probing, I am getting the 1213 code, and assume it is an upstream problem because the O2 sensor tests ok. There are no obvious vacuum leaks or intake leaks, no oil in the sparkplug holes or fouling of the plugs. MAF seems ok, but only tested by unplugging to see if engine idle changed (but will test by specs later) and when I pull the dipstick the idle drops as well. I was hoping there was a common solution for this common symptom, but it seems almost any issue will cause hesitation, low power and a O2 sensor out of range code. I will test the TPS but don't expect to find it out of spec, and I would assume it would show a code if it were. There is no misfire or injector codes so I haven't tested them yet but at this point I am looking for a cause for the 1213 code that doesnt cause it's own code like MAF, misfire, etc. If anyone else has input on this, let me know. Thanks!
C

Add your comment to this topic!