Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

clear coat, krylon

is250
08-21-2011, 03:23 PM
Hi All,
i was hoping to get people's thoughts' experiences with krylon spray paints.

does anyone know if these are acrylic, lacquer, etc?

also, has anyone used the krylon clear (triple thick glaze, or otherwise) to put the final clearcoat over tamiya sprays? can it be sanded/polished? experience/tips here would be greatly appreciated.

thanks to all.

SK

CFarias
08-22-2011, 02:52 PM
These are good durable paints but they can be dangerous for car models. I've used Krylons before and they are potent enough to eat through the best primers and sealers. I've had 50/50 success with them. When the paint is too strong I usually get small patches of wrinkled paint.

I've used them straight out of the can, including the clears, but I've never tried it through an airbrush.

In my opinion, the safe thing is to not use them on the models. I use plenty of their product for bases, backgrounds, etc. They are excellent for these types of applications.

MWFuller
09-03-2011, 01:01 PM
I've had a lot of trouble with their flat black spray in the past couple years in that I only get a few uses and the can dies. It will still by 90% full with paint but no propellant:runaround:

I agree with the eat the plastic dangers. I mainly use crystal clear when i'm looking for a textured effect, such as interior seat texture or to simulate undercoating on a build.

corvettekid_7684
10-12-2011, 08:21 PM
I've used it a lot with no problems but now I'm worried..? I believe they are enamel so you dont want to use any laquer over them at all...

935k3
10-12-2011, 09:27 PM
I've used it a lot with no problems but now I'm worried..? I believe they are enamel so you dont want to use any laquer over them at all...
A few years ago Krylon changed from a good acrylic lacquer but the new stuff is a pretty crappy enamel. You can still get the old stuff at Micheal's, it's called special use lacquer and it only comes in gloss white and black. You can also order at various places on the net under the Krylon Industrial Use available most of the colors. Krylon is fine when use any good automotive primer like Duplicor or Plastikote. If you get crazing you are putting it on to heavy too soon.

Add your comment to this topic!