97 Regal GS, Climate control air damper

mrrdeac
08-20-2011, 08:52 PM
My daughter's 97 GS has an issue with the air damper control. The climate control is working but the air conditioning is coming out of the passenger side only. I believe this is related to the damper that moves to select hot or cool (AC evaporator coil). I have tried disconnecting the battery for about 2 hours seemed to fix it initially but on the next drive it was back to the same condition.

How hard is the damper repair? Any advice or procedure would be appreciated.

Tech II
08-21-2011, 01:58 PM
Is this a dual zone? If it is, then the system has seperate temp doors and actuators for each side......you will have to look at the actuator on the driver's side and see if it goes full travel, when you move the temp from full hot to full cold back to full hot.....

If it is not dual zone, then if you have cooling on one side but not the other or if you have dual zone and the actuator does move the temp door, you are possibly low on freon....

mrrdeac
08-21-2011, 09:21 PM
As stated in the OP, there is AC coming out of the passenger side. Only heat on the drivers side. Yes, it is a digital control and it has dual zone. I am certain that it is the blend air damper on the drivers side.

The question is how hard is it to check or change? It is also possible that the climate control needs to be programmed. The only way to know is to look at the damper. How hard is it and where do I look?

brcidd
08-21-2011, 09:49 PM
Bad temp door actuator-- the gear inside cracks- and locks up the actuator-- I've repaired 4 this year on 97-99 W-cars....replace the actuator for mega bucks-- or do as I do and use spare parts from another actuator and replace the cracked gear only.....

mrrdeac
08-21-2011, 11:34 PM
Thanks for the reply. That is my guess too brcidd. But can you tell me what I will need to do to get the blend air actuator out to repair it?

brcidd
08-22-2011, 08:04 AM
remove the 3 5.5mm screws- unplug actuator...

mrrdeac
08-31-2011, 09:38 PM
Replaced the blend door actuator today with the Dorman 604-106. Working perfectly. A bit of a pain to get to but not much worse than a blower resistor replacement. Everything working as new. Thanks for all the advice and help

brcidd
08-31-2011, 10:20 PM
Thats actually the temp door actuator, did you open the old one up and see the cracked big gear? This is what I replace, I take other model actuators and remove said gear from them and put them in the actuator that has the broken gear...works great.

Add your comment to this topic!