Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Emergent Technology in Vehicles: Convenience or Catastrophe?

AF News Desk
08-13-2011, 10:01 PM
Emergent Technology in Vehicles: Convenience or Catastrophe?
As use of technology in the automotive industry grows,
are we improving our driving experience or hindering our it?

By Collin Wilkins (http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/member.php?u=683425) - AutomotiveForums.com (http://www.automotiveforums.com)
Aug. 13, 2011 - 10:06 p.m.

Greetings AutomotiveForums! Collin here, looking to bring you an abundance of auto knowledge, get your opinions on numerous vehicular subjects, and (hopefully) provide a bit of humor and a dash of razzle dazzle to your daily grind.

Anyway, like I said I’m Collin, a “n00b” AF reporter excited to interact with all of you and find out what the true auto enthusiasts are thinking these days. And, since this is my first “official” venture into journalism, I figured I’d just get right down to it and let the creative juices start flowing.

The real intent of this article is nothing more than what the title says: Is technology really improving the automotive industry, or are we simply in the eye of the storm?

Adding Bluetooth capabilities, the ever-improving navigational systems, voice activated whatnot, and electronically controlled this and that may all seem like added convenience, but remember, all of that needs to be run by a computer. How far away are we from having to sync our cars to something in order to update the software? Is the first “vehicular virus” that far down the road?

Let’s face it: Considering the fact that Apple, Inc. has more cash on hand than our own federal government, it’s not far-fetched to think that cars will soon be fully run by computers. Which, in turn, creates the question: what happens when hackers discover ways to send malicious spyware/malware over-the-air and right into your fancy, on-board computer system while you’re driving 75 miles per hour down the highway? I’m willing to bet you’ve never thought about it.

Don’t get me wrong, I really enjoy the monotonous voice of a robotic woman informing me to “make a legal U-turn” after getting lost in the bowels of downtown Chicago. But I digress.

Recently, I traveled to Tacoma, Washington (beautiful state by the way) on a business trip for about a week. Having never been there before, I figured I’d develop a pretty intimate relationship with Google Maps on my smartphone.

However, upon renting a car from Enterprise, they hooked me up with a Garmin at no extra charge (as a side note, this was the first time I’ve ever rented a car by myself). Not only did I not have to helplessly watch my data charges burst through the roof, but it took the embarrassing feeling of “lost-puppy syndrome” and magically transformed it into “Ponce de Leon-ism.”

My point is, I’m not anti-technology. But where does it stop?

We are living in the technology era. Everything needs to be fast, easy, and right at our fingertips. People these days are willing to fork over upwards of $5,000 extra to have a government satellite constantly track the position of their vehicles so they never get lost. I fully understand peace of mind has a price, but being a car enthusiast, I can think of about 16 different ways to put five grand to better use on a car, none of them being a satellite GPS system or any kind of computer that makes driving decisions for me.

While advances in technology are great and implementations of them in the auto industry have proven helpful (OnStar emergency, for example), there has to be a point that we reach and say “enough.” In order to push things to the limit, there has to be a limit.

Part of me wishes for the days when there was pride in the ownership of a 426 Hemi so beefy it could dislodge the fillings from your teeth. Unfortunately, soaring gas prices and electronically controlled fuel injection took care of that (and don’t even try to tell me that Dodge still makes a Hemi for the modern day Charger and Challenger – both of those cars are absolute jokes). Still, the simplicity of the connection between you and your car without the buffer of technology was one that used to be why we became enthusiasts in the first place.

I don’t mind technology, but to be completely honest, I don’t want to have to worry about the day when our cars drive themselves. Do you?

In the end, there will always be two sides to any argument. Which is why I want to hear what you all think.
Fire away, fellow enthusiasts.

Editor's Note: This is Collin Wilkins' first column for AutomotiveForums.com with more planned for the future. Have some feedback/ideas for Collin? Let him know! send an email to newsdesk@automotiveforums.com. In the meantime, sound off on what you've read!

danielsatur
08-14-2011, 10:29 AM
You can update any late model auto with a new FM stereo with both aux jacks + usb ports. The USB port is for your thumb drive playlists + aux jacks for your Ipod.
The Android phone can be also connected to your system togive phone service, GPS, WWW, playlists, and all kinds of other apps. You can also use this droid phone for multi automobiles with only one service bill.

Who needs AM, Siri, LP's, 8-track tapes, cassette tapes, or CD's?

If the phone go's bad, it's just thrown away instead paying $150hr for Auto service mechanics to fix high tech toys.

jon@af
08-14-2011, 10:39 AM
You can update any late model auto with a new FM stereo with both aux jacks + usb ports. The USB port is for your thumb drive playlists + aux jacks for your Ipod.
The Android phone can be also connected to your system togive phone service, GPS, WWW, playlists, and all kinds of other apps. You can also use this droid phone for multi automobiles with only one service bill.

Who needs AM, Siri, LP's, 8-track tapes, cassette tapes, or CD's?

If the phone go's bad, it's just thrown away instead paying $150hr for Auto service mechanics to fix high tech toys.
I think he's getting at something a little bit deeper than updating the audio options, though you get closer when mentioning Internet access via your car.

I tend to agree with the article though - there seems to be a lot more people who want their car to do things for them.

Cars that self park? We've got that. Cars that do things for us via voice command? We've got that too. Cars that react to our poor judgments (falling asleep at the wheel, reaching for something we shouldn't be, trying to look elsewhere, etc)? We have that too.

But I do get what you are saying as well - there are some conveniences that don't necessarily hurt us, such as adding serviceable vehicles to a single program.

Still, before too long, we're going to be dependent on the technology we're using out of convenience.

Good article, Collin.

CivicSpoon
08-16-2011, 12:17 PM
Honestly, I'm pretty split by the whole thing. In some cases I see no problem with it, and others I see a huge problem.

For luxury cars, I see added technology as a must. With all of the things mentioned (sat nav, bluetooth, ipod hook ups, DVD players, built in media centers, etc), they are all pretty much expected to be included in a vehicle. People buy luxury cars, not only for the social status of them, but also for the comfort and convenience that is included. So any luxury car that doesn't have all these electronic gadgets, is seen as being behind the times. I could also link SUVs and crossover vehicles in this category.

For sports cars/performance cars, there are other issues. Most sports cars already deal with added weight, compared to your average daily beater. They've got traction control systems, advanced braking systems, electronic suspension shocks, "power buttons" (i.e. "Sport Mode") that change the way the ECU controls the engines and transmission, rear wings that raise/tilt/or lower, etc, etc. More electronic parts, and more electrical wires to run them, really add up quick. Things have definitely changed since the days of just putting big engines into light chassis. It's good marketing to make a car that can "perform", and anyone can drive it. But it's also bad for the enthusiast who actually wants to have the full driving experience, and be able to control the car themselves (rather than having computers do it for them). So it's a blessing for those with the money, who want to drive fast, but a curse for those who want more than just a sit back and give it gas feel.

Hacking cars is not far off at all. If companies can modify the ECU/ECM to add more power, using just a programmer connected to the OBD II port, then the average computer "hacker" can do it to. Add built-in bluetooth or even built in wireless internet, and things just got easier. The current bluetooth version (3.0 HS) was released almost 2 years ago, and has a speed of 24Mbps (average U.S. internet speed in 3.9Mbps). So once bluetooth 3.0 HS (or newer) is adopted as a "standard", it will open doors...literally. Very soon hackers will be able to go to public areas, unlock cars, disable immobilizers, and start the car, all with nothing more than a bluetooth capable laptop or smartphone and some programs. Gone will be the days of smashing windows, breaking locks, and "hot wiring" cars.

Add your comment to this topic!