Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1995 JGC tranny/shift problem

fcrutcher
08-13-2011, 10:29 AM
Thanks,

When I drive my jeep it doesn't shift. I press the accelerator to RPM's so that it should shift (as I became use to) but it winds up into high RPM's.

Things I've done to the jeep (in response to code readings):
1) flush/filled transmission fluid (Advance Auto ATF4) & changed the governor pressure solenoid, transducer, filter & gasket (all new Chrysler parts)
2) New Throttle Position sensor & Vehicle speed sensor (pepboys)

I always seem to get a pair of codes (diagnostic trouble code & OBD reading). First, my reader is OBDII (I've heard some say they think 1995 may be OBDI or one).

Anyway, very first drive I erase error code (battery sometimes, OBD reader) and drive I'm guessing maybe 1.5 - 2 miles (no more than 4 for sure).

I drive back & park the car and turn the ignition switch in on/off motion 3 times within 5 secs to get the trouble code 37. Then I turn the switch off, & insert the OBDII reader & turn the switch on & press read and I always get P1757 (paired with Diagnostic Trouble Code 37).

Other times when I drive it other days, the DTC reads 45 & is paired with OBDII reading P1762.

So, if I get Diagnostic Trouble Code 37, I'm guaranteed to get OBDII reading P1757.

When I get Diagnostic Trouble Code 45, I'm guaranteed to get OBDII reading P1762.

Sometimes when I drive it, (the short mileage I drive it for testing) I can get accelerated speeds 55-60mph (with no RPM winding out sensation but doesn't 'feel' like normal "shift feel" maybe I became use to before the problem).

Then there's times when I get on the road & I can tell I won't be driving any faster than 25-30 mph.

Anyone experience this & have any ideas?

I saw a search where someone said they had a JGC shifting problem that sounded similar to mine and a mechanic friend told him to change the thermostat (and said that fixed his problem). Apparently he had the shifting problem twice (because he said changing the thermostat both times fixed it).

Which has me curious.....had some work done to my JGC by a buddy while I was sick & unable to do the work and he told me he put in a different thermostat than the jeep specs. He (thought he was doing me & the jeep a favor long-term by installing a thermostat that I think he said prolonged the engine life & ran cooler).

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

fcrutcher
08-13-2011, 10:39 AM
Oh, I forgot to mention.......I adjusted the TV cable also (along with the other things done in my post pertaining to the shifting problem).

trannyman52
08-14-2011, 12:53 AM
that trans should really have a shift kit installed,,,Transgo Jr,,,,or,,,Superior ,,brand...really cleans up shifts,,,it will actually want to up-shift...The other thing check oil cooler flow,,,should be about quart in 15 seconds,,,there is a check ball///valve in cooler circuit,,this is installed to address (lazy garage engagement) on cold start... (torque converter drain back) this must be removed !!! Generally this will restrict oil flow through cooler,,,causes over heating and will cause OD section to fail...Kit will also allow converter to fill in park !!!!

fcrutcher
08-14-2011, 08:31 PM
Thanks trannyman52. I will check the oil cooler flow and other things and research (transgo???).

trannyman52
08-14-2011, 09:39 PM
Transgo...Superior are brand names,,,,,never really seen them in a parts store around here,,,,they are available through trans shops,,theydo have web sites

Add your comment to this topic!