Page updated on 11-18-2017

Modified paint stand

ffreak
08-12-2011, 07:14 PM
Here's a little tip some of you may like. I have had a problem with this paint stand not holding a body on it tight enough and resulted in the body falling off ruining my paint job a few times. I removed the spring and screw out of the center of it and installed a longer screw and nut with a couple wing nuts. Now I can adjust the tension on the body just enough to keep it from slipping and yet not warp the body sides. This way the tension stays constant and does not spring together whenever you hold it. Another mod I did was to install small velcro strips to the foam pads on the top as they had become flattened over time. Then I can install the opposing strips on the inside of the body for extra grip. I dare the bodies to slip off there now !!!!:naughty: The pics are not the best but maybe you can get the idea.

luchoteam
08-12-2011, 10:19 PM
its an interesting idea!

I have my own system, that for me is working excellent and its very simple...i just take a bottle of CocaCola or Sprite (the small size) and i glue the top of the bottle in the roof of the car, i wait a few days and i put water into the bottle and i screw it in the top, so the car remains very firmly during painting...when I start the assembly of the car i just take the top of the bottle, using some water and a xacto knife

Adam Baker
08-13-2011, 09:35 PM
I like that idea. What do you use for glue, just white glue or something similar? Obviously something w/o a great deal of adhesion, I'm assuming.

its an interesting idea!

I have my own system, that for me is working excellent and its very simple...i just take a bottle of CocaCola or Sprite (the small size) and i glue the top of the bottle in the roof of the car, i wait a few days and i put water into the bottle and i screw it in the top, so the car remains very firmly during painting...when I start the assembly of the car i just take the top of the bottle, using some water and a xacto knife

MidMazar
08-14-2011, 09:53 AM
I've used this body holder in the past but was very disappointed with it as you can't put it down so the model dries. And the models fell off like you said. I had to find an altternative that i can fit in my dry booth (FRIDGE)

ffreak
08-14-2011, 11:36 AM
I've used this body holder in the past but was very disappointed with it as you can't put it down so the model dries. And the models fell off like you said. I had to find an altternative that i can fit in my dry booth (FRIDGE)
I solved the setting it down problem for me anyway. My kitchen stove has a handle that runs the length of the door on it, and I just slide the holder down in it and it stands straight up. I leave it like that for a few minutes for the paint to flash and then I can remove the body and put it in my dehydrator. A large mouth mug or glass or coffee cup could serve the same purpose and you could put sand or anything in the bottom to weigh it down.:evillol:

luchoteam
08-14-2011, 01:38 PM
I like that idea. What do you use for glue, just white glue or something similar? Obviously something w/o a great deal of adhesion, I'm assuming.

i just use white glue, here in my country the white glue is the one that you should use when you need to glue wood, put some on the top of the bottle, and i glue it to the roof...and 2 or 3 days later i can use it with out having any problems...

ales
08-14-2011, 03:22 PM
What I do is I stick a bottle cap to the roof of the car with double-sided tape (instant and no need to remove glue afterwards) and I don't fill the bottle with water anymore - I actually cut it so that it is more stable when vertical (it's also lower and fits in the dehydrator).

luchoteam
08-14-2011, 04:46 PM
What I do is I stick a bottle cap to the roof of the car with double-sided tape (instant and no need to remove glue afterwards) and I don't fill the bottle with water anymore - I actually cut it so that it is more stable when vertical (it's also lower and fits in the dehydrator).

LOL :icon16:
Its almost the same system! i should get some doble sided tape and give it a try

willimo
08-14-2011, 08:53 PM

It's a little expensive but I have the Tamiya spray stand and it holds plenty firm and fits over a swivel base. I love this tool, don't know how i got on without it.

ffreak
08-14-2011, 10:51 PM
It's a little expensive but I have the Tamiya spray stand and it holds plenty firm and fits over a swivel base. I love this tool, don't know how i got on without it.
I have the Tamiya ones also which I love using sometimes too. I just had to modify that one to be more useful.

Add your comment to this topic!