Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Do I need a scanner to replace brake fluid with ABS brakes?

somick
08-10-2011, 10:48 AM
This is actually the same question I posted in the Pilot section:

2005 Pilot with 70,000 miles.

When I replace brake fluid on a vehicles without ABS I use vacuum pump. I have done it many times without any problems. What is going to happen when/if I use the same pump on my son's Pilot? It does have ABS.

As far as I know Honda calls for a special scanner to bleed ABS brakes. I do not have one.

Thanks,
Sam

Greenblurr93
08-10-2011, 04:13 PM
not sure why you would need a scanner... unless there is a code you need to reset.

the why i bleed any car is empty the brake fluid res, fill with fresh fluid, then proceed to bleed the lines as normal, there by pulling the fresh fluid into the lines without introducing air into the system

somick
08-11-2011, 11:40 AM
not sure why you would need a scanner... unless there is a code you need to reset.

the why i bleed any car is empty the brake fluid res, fill with fresh fluid, then proceed to bleed the lines as normal, there by pulling the fresh fluid into the lines without introducing air into the system
That is how I usually do it.

I do not remember where, but in one of newer Honda's manuals I read that on Hondas's ABS system the bleeding is done with a scanner. I was really surprised. My 2010 Forester's FSM does not mention anything like that.

Thanks for reply,
Sam

somick
08-11-2011, 01:24 PM
And the answer is here:

http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp_bleeding_abs.shtml

so I will do it the way I usually do and leave the ABS unit alone.

Sam

Add your comment to this topic!