Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

98 lumina, couple of things (strut, dash lights blink 90 times)

MadMedicJim
08-09-2011, 10:57 AM
Had the RF strut break free from the mount and needs replacement. Went to Midas and they only want 640 bucks! Well found the parts for about a fifth of the cost online and don't want to finance their 200 dollars worth of labor. I know it is a simple drop in assembly for the cartridge and mount, and I know that I need a special tool to get the old one out. Does the cartridge need anything special to compress it? Or will my arms suffice? How much oil should I add to the new one for proper cooling? Can someone give me a step by step? Obviously I remove the 3 bolts, plate, and then somehow remove the old one with the special tool.

Also here is a strange problem that has come and gone. Upon start, my dash lights blink on and off with a "turn signal flasher" noise in 3 sets of 30 flashes. This will last for a couple of days and then go away. This only occurs on start and the 3x30 is consistent. Does not seem to be affected by ac or manually turning on lights or anything. I have no error codes and recently replaced a throttle sensor with no problems (except a singed knuckle or two.) Stereo works fine so I doubt it is the anti theft module. There was a pre installed non factory remote starter when I got it a year ago, but I have not used it since the winter ended.

Last but not least, after start, sometimes my low traction light kicks in and feels like the breaks short out for a second or two. Brakes checked, but found to be ok.

Thank you in advance for the help.

Jim

inafogg
08-09-2011, 01:21 PM
[quote=MadMedicJim;6918602]Had the RF strut break free from the mount and needs replacement. Went to Midas and they only want 640 bucks! Well found the parts for about a fifth of the cost online and don't want to finance their 200 dollars worth of labor. I know it is a simple drop in assembly for the cartridge and mount, and I know that I need a special tool to get the old one out. Does the cartridge need anything special to compress it? Or will my arms suffice? How much oil should I add to the new one for proper cooling? Can someone give me a step by step? Obviously I remove the 3 bolts, plate, and then somehow remove the old one with the special tool.

as far as the strut the only special tool needed is a spring compressor
are you planning to replace just the strut cartridge?does'nt look like its
available

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/repairinfo/repairguide/repairGuideContent.jsp?fromSearchPage=true&pageId=0900c15280217fe6&partName=Front+Suspension+Struts&partId=0900c15280217fe6

MadMedicJim
08-09-2011, 03:23 PM
as far as the strut the only special tool needed is a spring compressor
are you planning to replace just the strut cartridge?does'nt look like its
available

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/repairinfo/repairguide/repairGuideContent.jsp?fromSearchPage=true&pageId=0900c15280217fe6&partName=Front+Suspension+Struts&partId=0900c15280217fe6

Well actually, yes I am replacing just the strut cartridge. The late 90's have a different design, they are drop in replacements needing a strut tool to remove.

Here is the tool:
http://www.ntxtools.com/network-tool-warehouse/OTC-4533.html

I just got the tool, two struts, and two mounting plates from Napa for $270. Now to see how it goes.

Thanks for the help anyways.

inafogg
08-10-2011, 11:32 AM
Well actually, yes I am replacing just the strut cartridge. The late 90's have a different design, they are drop in replacements needing a strut tool to remove.

Here is the tool:
http://www.ntxtools.com/network-tool-warehouse/OTC-4533.html

I just got the tool, two struts, and two mounting plates from Napa for $270. Now to see how it goes.

Thanks for the help anyways.
good luck, let us no how its going

MadMedicJim
08-11-2011, 06:12 PM
good luck, let us no how its going

Well after I busted my finger using a adjutable wrench and no oil, I decided to use some penetrating oil the right tool and sit overnight. When I came back to it, bolt came off like butter. I then pulled out the mount which had a chunk missing from the metal. This is what the problem was. Using the special tool is a must. The old strut cartridge came right out and I put the new one in and put the bolts back on. Then I saw the bumper that goes under the mount sitting on my engine block.......

So after redoing the work, moved onto the non broken side to replace that one. Apparently my car was not totally level as I had to wrestle it out. But in the end, it all went well.

After about an hour, I decided to press my luck and do wifes rear brakes on her 2000 mountaineer. That was fun, but also easy once I broke out the sledge hammer! Figure we saved bout 800 bucks total.

So any ideas on the other issues?

Add your comment to this topic!