89 firebird, found alot of fuel in my throttle body and air filter box

ailestriker105
08-08-2011, 07:18 PM
Hey guys I have an 89 Firebird 5.7l tpi and ive been having a real hard time in the past few weeks getting the car to start. It cranks fine but its not firing. it will start when i put the gas pedal to the floor but it will miss really bad and was starting to blow black smoke from the tail pipe. after a few seconds or so it will even out and run fine. today i smelt what i thought was a fuel leak from the front of the fuel rail. i pulled my air cleaner from my throttle body and a whole bunch of fuel came pouring out. the only thing i can think of is its coming from my evap canister but im having a hard time figuring out why. please help.

procaddytech
08-08-2011, 10:24 PM
Pull the vacuum line off of the fuel pressure regulator and see if it leaks fuel out of the nipple. Turn the car to run with the hose off and see if fuel squirts out of the regulator. If the diaphragm is leaking, the fuel will leak into the vacuum line and to the vacuum source which is the intake. When you shut the car off the fuel system is pressurized and if the regulator is leaking, the fuel will bleed down into the intake. The car will be really hard to start once warmed up and shut off for a bit.

ailestriker105
08-09-2011, 09:17 PM
Thanks a lot, that was the problem, thanks again

procaddytech
08-10-2011, 06:22 AM
Good to hear!

Add your comment to this topic!