Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

ignition switch???

dhop11
08-05-2011, 12:38 PM
sometime while driving or setting at idle car will cut off just like someone turned the key off. Never had any codes shown up all fuel pressure are good already changed the crank sensor and the IAC among other items and still the same problem. On the ignition the key is loose like an old car you can remove the key from the switch while driving and the car still runs fine. Acc part of the switch does not work. but the key turns fine but maybe slightly too easy i think maybe it is falling back to the off position on its own?/ is there a diagram out there that shows me how to replace the switch. And I am asking the board it you guys think this could be my problem??

inafogg
08-05-2011, 02:33 PM
sometime while driving or setting at idle car will cut off just like someone turned the key off. Never had any codes shown up all fuel pressure are good already changed the crank sensor and the IAC among other items and still the same problem. On the ignition the key is loose like an old car you can remove the key from the switch while driving and the car still runs fine. Acc part of the switch does not work. but the key turns fine but maybe slightly too easy i think maybe it is falling back to the off position on its own?/ is there a diagram out there that shows me how to replace the switch. And I am asking the board it you guys think this could be my problem??

maybe if you have a bunch of keys/weight on the key ring.
when it stalls are the dash lights on?if your thinking the key is turning
off on its own the dash lights would be off.but still could be the elec.part
of switch.go to autozone.com for r/r procedures

teafreak35
08-05-2011, 11:00 PM

I had to replace the ignition switch in my malibu once and I can tell you that it was an adventure. My key wouldn't turn though...I'm not sure about one falling back to the off position. When the car goes dead, does radio turn off as well as all other devices or is it just the engine?

If you can get your hands on a Haynes repair manual (about $20 at autozone) it walks you through the steps. Just be prepared for the fact that you will have to take your new ignition switch to a locksmith to have it keyed to match all other locks on car...of course, you'll want to do this BEFORE you install it in the car!

dhop11
08-05-2011, 11:03 PM
yea the radio shuts off but the lights in the dash are on just like right before you crank the engine gauges all go to zero but when you turn the switch the car cranks right back up fine instantly

teafreak35
08-05-2011, 11:50 PM
yea the radio shuts off but the lights in the dash are on just like right before you crank the engine gauges all go to zero but when you turn the switch the car cranks right back up fine instantly

When you turn the key to recrank it, does it feel like it's turning from the "run" position or has it moved all the way back to "off"? It doesn't sound like it's going all the way to off or nothing would be on (no dash lights, no radio, nothing) I would suspect either a loose wire or a bad switch. If the ACC isn't working anyway, I would say that the ignition switch is suspect, as you already know you have one electrical problem with the switch. If you remove the radio, I believe you can reach the back of the ignition switch and make sure that all of your wires are plugged in securely...that would be step one for me. However, if the key isn't working right anyway, changing the switch out really isn't that big of a deal (if the key will turn...mine wouldn't so I had to "encourage" the old switch to come out of there). I still changed mine out in one afternoon...

teafreak35
08-05-2011, 11:52 PM
what year is it?

dhop11
08-07-2011, 08:11 PM
thanks for all reply,s it is a 2003 model

I noticed today while the car is running i can take the key and car stays running. ok then i just can insert the tip end of the key 1/4 inch into switch and am able toturn the car on and off. only exception if i go all the way to off position on the switch i cant turn the switch again with out inserting the key in all the way. i can do this with any key except for going all way to the off position then i have to use the original key.

so do i need to replace the inner barrel or the whole switch electronics and all it is the big housing in the back of the dash.

also will i have to reprogram the car to match the switch??

dhop11
08-11-2011, 03:33 PM
I found to dat there was wire at the water antifreeze plastic resavoire I have re plugged this wire back in and the car has not shut off since then. Could this have been the problem all along with the car shutting off???

90civicrider
08-11-2011, 04:53 PM
I found to dat there was wire at the water antifreeze plastic resavoire I have re plugged this wire back in and the car has not shut off since then. Could this have been the problem all along with the car shutting off???

Probably.
There's more to the ignition system than just the switch. Take a look at this video, it's for a different car but some of the concepts/troubleshooting should be the same!

http://youtu.be/nbpn4b2p810

dhop11
08-13-2011, 08:13 PM
after re hooking up that antifreeze water wire the car was fine for a week but today
it cut off again backing out of the driveway :{. this must be the ignition switch ?? what do you all think??

Add your comment to this topic!