Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Anyone want to help me with an experiment? Have a 1997 1998 or 1999 Cavalier/Sunfire?

doug2060
08-02-2011, 10:15 PM
I believe my PCM is dead. Before I spend the money to get one and have it programmed I was hoping someone would volunteer to help me or maybe even know the answer.

I'm hoping someone could disconnect their battery and unplug both harnesses from their PCM then re-connect their battery and turn the ignition on and try to crank etc and post the results.

I have tried everything I can think of to resolve my issue. I have traveled to the end of the internet. I have seen many wiring diagrams. I have tried and tested every fuse, relay, wire, and fusible link but still no luck. All I have is a good battery providing proper power to a brand new ignition switch but when I turn it I get nothing. No clock on the radio. No lights on the instrument cluster. No power to the starter or anything past the ignition switch. When I open the door the dome light comes on. The horn blows. The emergency flashers work. The headlights come on. The key even ding ding dings when I put it in the ignition. I can't even scan for codes.

Is anyone with a 1997 to 1999 Cavalier or Sunfire willing to try this?

I have started threads on many forums with no luck.

If you are willing to help please let me know. I'm broke and can't afford to throw money at it.

brcidd
08-03-2011, 06:31 AM
Why did you replace ign switch? There-in probably lies your problem.

No lights on instrument cluster means no power there....so did first switch burn some contacts? in the wiring connectors? PCM would not control instrument panel power.....

doug2060
08-03-2011, 11:53 AM
Why did you replace ign switch? There-in probably lies your problem.

No lights on instrument cluster means no power there....so did first switch burn some contacts? in the wiring connectors? PCM would not control instrument panel power.....

There was nothing wrong with th e first switch.

Tech II
08-21-2011, 03:26 PM
Go to your fuse block....turn key on....using test light, are all your fuses getting power, or are there a lot of them with no power?

doug2060
08-21-2011, 03:28 PM
Go to your fuse block....turn key on....using test light, are all your fuses getting power, or are there a lot of them with no power?

Thanks for your help. I found the issue a while back. One of the main power wires going to the ignition switch shorted out in the harness block under the hood behind the air filter housing.

Add your comment to this topic!