Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Junkies back! Need some help with build..!

boostjunkie333
08-01-2011, 11:54 PM
Hey guys, been a long time...I see a few familiars!

I have come a long way during my FULL build, had set backs, like the time that I had the motor all together and ran the car but it knocked still, only to find out that the machine shop gave me the wrong bearings, after waiting for about 7 months to get my machine work done. Finally found a much better shop with great prices and quick turn arounds. Anyways, after all is said and done, I finally have the $$ to buy the last few parts I need, including a new clutch.

If anyone wouldn't mind donating some knowledge, I have a few technical questions about some things just before I start ordering a wave of parts.

Suspension:
(1)-Ok, all I need to know is where I can find good deals on the rear suspension components. I found an entire kit on ebay for the 420a cars, but its only the complete FRONT suspension kit. Nothing for the rear. Not even individual pieces..For the rear I'm seeking trailing, toe control, lower and upper arms. Id rather avoid the stealership, if possible. Anyone ever seen anywhere online that has these parts for a good price?

(2)-How often do the knuckles need to be replaced? During the life of the car..

Brakes:
Alright, rack your brains. Im doing the rear drum to disc conversion. I have searched, searched, and searched more bc all how-to's conflict with each other, and contradict one another. I have most of it figured out except a few things.

(3)-One site says you must replace the knuckle on both rear tires...is this true? Or will sourced backing plates fit right on our stock knuckle?

(4)-Brake lines- if I have the rear brakes changed to discs, which ss lines kit do I order? Are all the ss lines for all the model eclipses the same? Are there differences? Need two for front obviously, and two for back, considering rear upgrade.

(5)-Front GSX upgrade- I wanna do the dual piston caliper upgrade on the front, which consists of a swap from a GSX. Do I use same size rotors that came on my car or does this mean I also need rotors sourced from a gsx? If so, what else? And again, which ss lines do I need for the new gsx dual piston calipers?

I know it's a lot of questions, but anyone who has done these things already should be able to answer them easily. I'd really appreciate it if people would answer whichever ones they can with whatever you know..Thanks guys

P.S.
(6)Are all 4 wheel hubs assemblies the same? Or do the rear hub differ from the front hubs? You have to replace the whole hub right? Can't just do the wheel bearing...or so I'm told.

Blackcrow64
08-02-2011, 07:24 AM
You can do just the wheel bearing, I did it once before. It's a complete PITA though... Brakes... Well here is my thoughts since you are converting to rear disc and upgrading your front calipers... I would use front and rear stock brakes off of a GSX for your upgrade. Not sure if you will need to replace the rear knuckle or not... But anyways... Then you can just use ss brake lines from an AWD model for your car. The only difference you need to watch for is ABS or non-ABS... Also, check to make sure your proportioning valve is the same from FWD to AWD. If not, you will need to change it as well to compensate for the change in the brake setup... I would use the front disc off of the AWD as well if you upgrade to the dual piston calipers... Hope that helps some.

david-b
08-02-2011, 08:22 AM
For the GSX front

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=739075

boostjunkie333
08-02-2011, 12:38 PM
From what I understand the prop valves on all models of eclipses have the same part number, so I think i'm good there. My only other question is, can I sub out using stock rotors from a GSX for using upgraded rotors from a GSX...I can't see there being a difference...you know like if I wanted a nice set of drilled and slotted ones instead of stockers. In which case the front rotors would be from a GSX, and the rear would still be ones from whichever eclipse has rear discs. So wait a minute, are all the rear rotors the same on all the eclipses? Bc the swap says you can use any rotors for the rear from any other model eclipse, but only the GSX front ones for the front upgrade. Weird

Blackcrow64
08-02-2011, 05:17 PM
You can use aftermarket GSX rotors and it'll be the same as stock size unless you buy aftermarket rotors for a big brake kit. Just make sure you watch for the difference. Although I'm sure you'll notice it in the price jump... Oh and the proportioning valves are definitely different between ABS and non-ABS models. I had to change mine when I removed the ABS from the Talon.

boostjunkie333
08-02-2011, 10:15 PM
So, with what im doing, I dont need to?

Blackcrow64
08-03-2011, 05:40 AM
Do you have ABS now?

boostjunkie333
08-03-2011, 11:03 AM
I cant remember, and I cant check right now, but im fairly certaint he last time I worked onthe front suspension I didnt see any sensors

Add your comment to this topic!