Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Sweet toxic fumes (NOT coolant) - A/C condenser??

mnKISSgirl
08-01-2011, 12:03 PM
1998 2.2

I initially thought it was fuel causing the fumes to come in through my air vents when driving home in hot weather, because I needed my fuel pressure regulator replaced. Well that's not it, still same toxic fumes coming into the cabin, but only when it's hot out, and lots of stop and go traffic. Then I ck'd under the hood when I got home and noticed the smell coming from right by the a/c condenser canister, but I don't see any leaks anywhere? And it's not coming from any other part of the engine, and no, it's not anitifreeze - I know that smell, and this is different, and really toxic smelling. So anyone else ever have this? It's a real strong, sweet almost fuel, but not really, kind of smell.

Thanks in advance!

inafogg
08-01-2011, 02:22 PM
1998 2.2

I initially thought it was fuel causing the fumes to come in through my air vents when driving home in hot weather, because I needed my fuel pressure regulator replaced. Well that's not it, still same toxic fumes coming into the cabin, but only when it's hot out, and lots of stop and go traffic. Then I ck'd under the hood when I got home and noticed the smell coming from right by the a/c condenser canister, but I don't see any leaks anywhere? And it's not coming from any other part of the engine, and no, it's not anitifreeze - I know that smell, and this is different, and really toxic smelling. So anyone else ever have this? It's a real strong, sweet almost fuel, but not really, kind of smell.

Thanks in advance!

it maybe mold!! try getting some spray cleaner through your vent system
& evap. casing.most parts houses carry it.

procaddytech
08-01-2011, 05:12 PM
An A/C compressor that is starting to lock up and the clutch is slipping on smells harsh almost like an electrical fire. Look at the clutch plate and see if it is turning white or watch it while it is running and see if it holds and then slips. Dragging/burning brake pads have a very weird powerful smell that you can smell from inside and outside the car. Check for any plastic or something melted onto your exhaust system also.

Moppie
08-01-2011, 05:46 PM
An A/C compressor that is starting to lock up and the clutch is slipping on smells harsh almost like an electrical fire. Look at the clutch plate and see if it is turning white or watch it while it is running and see if it holds and then slips. Dragging/burning brake pads have a very weird powerful smell that you can smell from inside and outside the car. Check for any plastic or something melted onto your exhaust system also.

Yip, I was going to suggest something similar.

What ever it is, you really do need to find it.
If it is something burning then there is a very strong chance it could start a car fire.
I can tell you from personal experience, driving a car that is on fire, is not much fun.

j cAT
08-01-2011, 07:47 PM
1998 2.2

Thanks in advance!

sweet smell from the air vents is coolant/antifreeze etc.....

pressure test the coolant system 15psi...remove hoses from the heater core run it see if smell is gone pressure test the heater core....

Add your comment to this topic!