Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Can you install new muffler in one piece up to cat easily?

mr.Hand
07-31-2011, 11:51 PM
Hey everyone on here,

Been a while...

Mine, a 95 metro 2d, is still alive! 230,000 miles! The engine misses a little more now...but it still works!

Fought some terrible corrosion on my + bat terminal, now car runs better than ever! Also cleaned the pulleys of oil and grease. Starter finally died at 230,000 miles. Was original starter, died two weeks ago during hot summer night.

So, i need to install a new muffler, i want to install one of those that are all in one piece that bolts onto the cat.

My question, can you just shove the whole complete thing in through the back or do you have to remove the rear suspension?

Also, do i need new gaskets? Those bolts also look pretty haggard...

I believe i can do this!

Thanks Metroheads.

Geoff

Metro Mighty Mouse
08-01-2011, 12:42 AM
Rear of car needs to be as high as possible and right rear wheel will need to be removed. Exhaust can then be maneuvered out towards the front. It's a bit of work but does not require removing any suspension parts.

MMM

mr.Hand
08-03-2011, 08:16 AM
thanks mouse!

i found this on ebay. what do you think? i hope it lasts longer than 5 years...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Bosal-287-279-Muffler-And-Pipe-Assembly-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQfitsZMakeQ3aGeoQ7cModelQ3aMetro Q7cYearQ3a1995QQhashZitem4aabf777faQQitemZ32071270 1946QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessorie s#ht_1212wt_1165

and mouse, i think you and I have the same car! that's the red 1995 right? that's mine, although mine looks orange now...

Metro Mighty Mouse
08-03-2011, 09:57 AM
Geoff,

Borsal is a well known brand name so it should be good and that is not a bad price.

Mine is a 95 3cyl, has 271,000 on the chassis and around 170,000 on the engine. I've had it since 2001 and have modded a lot of things on it to suit my tastes. Relevant to what you are doing, I replaced the stock muffler with an aluminized little cherry bomb style muffler from JC Whitney. It's louder but made a significant increase in power.

MMM

jake1ekaj
09-23-2011, 12:36 AM
Mr Hand, Sorry I am late to reply on this. Did you put in the Bosal. I found one on amazon, I think for the same price. It took some threading to get it through the suspension and a bit of force. It has been on for a couple years now and I have noticed the corrosion on the tail pipe seams excessive. Oh well, you get what you pay for.

I will say that I bought the cat assembly last winter and that did not mate up at all. A lot of heat and some bending was required to get that puppy in. I bought that from Rockauto.com At least they refunded the shiping for it. It was listed as OEM but it was not at all to the correct dimensions.

Add your comment to this topic!