Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

98 Accord rear brakes not working

sixpix
07-31-2011, 02:11 PM
I have a 98 Accord with rear disc brakes and ABS. The rotors on the rear brakes are rusted like the pads are not grabbing at all and when you push on the brakes you have to push really hard to get it to stop. I did tests for the booster to see if it is working and it seems to be. Right now I'm thinking it may be the proportioning valve. Any ideas would be appreciated.

inafogg
07-31-2011, 03:59 PM
I have a 98 Accord with rear disc brakes and ABS. The rotors on the rear brakes are rusted like the pads are not grabbing at all and when you push on the brakes you have to push really hard to get it to stop. I did tests for the booster to see if it is working and it seems to be. Right now I'm thinking it may be the proportioning valve. Any ideas would be appreciated.

have you checked to see if the rear brakes are working? appling the brake & see if the rears are being applied??it could be that the brakes are glazed from heat making the brakes slide rather than gripping causing the extra pressure to stop.what brand of pads/rotors are on the car. i no that some model cars work best with the oem brakes. if the calipers are froozen they will need replacing,but it could be that heat has glazed the pads/rotors. making sure that the caliper slides are working/sliding properly

jeffcoslacker
07-31-2011, 08:09 PM
Yeah usually the calipers are seized or the sliding hardware is cheezed up so much it can't move and apply both pads...generally speaking slider problems the inside pad will work but the rotor will be rusty on the outer side since it's not applying that pad, along with extreme pedal effort...seized caliper usually both sides of rotor rusty and often times dragging/scraping sounds from that wheel when turning low speed..

Crack a bleeder screw on each of the rears while someone applies the brakes...if you get a nice strong shot of fluid, the proportioning valve is not your problem.

sixpix
08-02-2011, 11:34 AM
I've checked the driver's side wheel by jacking the car up, applying the brakes with the engine running and I could still rotate the wheel. I could feel the brakes dragging but I would expect them to totally lock up for this test.

Both sides of the rotor are rusty. I applied the brakes with the caliper off and it did extend. I was able to get it to retract also.

The sliding hardware didn't seem like it was tied up. The pads came out pretty easily. I'm going to try new pads, rotors and calipers this week.

sixpix
12-13-2012, 07:41 PM
Changing the pads, rotors and calipers did the trick. Brakes are now working fine. I think the problem was hte calipers.

Add your comment to this topic!