Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Hazard light switch fell into dash

crustyalero
07-30-2011, 02:39 PM
I have read that other 2001 Aleros have had this problem. There is a plastic piece that holds the hazard light assembly. That piece screws into the dash with three screws. It appears that part of it has broken off so that it no longer holds the hazard light assembly at all. I can slide the assembly back in, but it would just slide back into the dash when pressed.

Is it possible to buy that plastic piece somewhere?

I have read where someone put a dob of super glue on it and put it back in. However, if I did this, I would not be able to replace the flasher connected to the back of the button if it went out - would I? My wife is pregnant, and I may need my hazard lights in the near future, so I want to fix the problem and not cause another one in the future if I need to replace the flasher.

Thanks

procaddytech
07-30-2011, 02:48 PM
Sure you would be able to replace it. If you glue it to the broken retainer, replace them both when and if the time comes, that is if it is available separately. You may want to call around. Is this the piece you are talking about:
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e50/twabelljr/Hazard.gif

crustyalero
07-30-2011, 05:42 PM
Yeah, that's it. The black plastic thing with the three screws in it. The thing the hand is holding in the picture.

Any idea how hot glue would hold? It could be easily cut away. I'm just now sure how it would hold up in a closed up car in the sun. ...Not sure at what temperature hot glue melts.

I thought about taping it up, but the heat would get the duct tape or electrical tape... I think.

Add your comment to this topic!