1998 flickerig

linda3969
07-29-2011, 03:46 PM
I am having problems with my lights flickering on my 1998 windstar any suggestions:boink:

olopezm
07-30-2011, 12:03 AM
How's the battery, a low/bad one could make your lights flicker, also the alternator. You can have both tested at most autoparts stores like autozone, napa, advanced auto.

Oscar.

linda3969
07-30-2011, 01:18 AM
thank-you first thing we are trying

linda3969
08-03-2011, 03:12 PM
battery is fine, alternator being pulled now thanks

wiswind
08-05-2011, 11:15 PM
Headlights flickering?.......I had that issue....felt the headlight switch and it was warm.
I bought a NEW headlight switch (Motorcraft brand through Rockauto) and that solved the problem.
The link in my signature takes you to a bunch of pictures of projects on my '96....and I have the headlight switch replacement shown there.
I did it the same time as I replaced the turn signal switch.....so the pictures are together......my turn signal was starting to "buzz" when I would use the "lane change" feature.....so I took care of both problems at the same time.
That was at over 200K miles.......so I expect to have to replace things like that.

The headlight circuit breaker is integral to (part of) the headlight switch.

One test......when the headlights are flickering......turn on a map or dome light.....is it flickering?......if it is not...then I would suspect the headlight switch....even if it is not getting warm like mine was.
The new headlight switch did not get warm AT ALL.

jerryw2314
08-08-2011, 10:51 PM
My 03's headlights dim alittle, then return to usual brightness. The interior lights come on without warning as your driving down the road. Could both be related to the headlight or dimmer switch?.

Ford 03 Windstar 127200 miles
New Battery and Alt replaced at 126000 miles.

linda3969
08-09-2011, 03:12 AM
got the alternator fixed by the pros seems to be fixed. thank-you

linda3969
08-10-2011, 03:18 AM
thanks for that extra help now i have to deal with a new issue, well i don't know if it is new as I just bought this van, so far we have changed the fuel pump that is working a okay, tested the battery that was in great shape, rebuilt the alternator, it has a smooth feeling ride now and no more flickering. my new issue is my rear cargo light and the second passenger reading lights stay on, I am not sure if the front dome light-reading lights do as well for there are no bulbs in them. so off to the napa i go for bulbs and fuses will be back with verdict tomorrow. i think i read somewhere that it could be a sensor in the doors or something like that i guess i will find out soon enough. I forgot to add that my door ajar light is staying on

linda3969
08-10-2011, 02:32 PM
Well changed all fuses that door ajar light still on. i am thinking that it has to do with my back hatch door because it will not lock and unlock with any of the lock/unlock buttons(1 at back, 1 on passenger side, and the drivers side 1). it will lock and unlock with the key

linda3969
08-11-2011, 01:01 AM
from reading some of the forums, I found out that my slider and my back hatch doors don't chime any more, so I figure I have sensor problems, so for now I have sprayed all latches with wd40 no more door ajar light on, thank-you everybody involved. I guess I will address the sensor fix soon

olopezm
08-11-2011, 11:32 AM
It's good to know you fixed your problems. The dirty latches are a common problem with some fords and it's a good idea to clean them with WD40. However due to it's oily nature it will gather dust and will stick again with time. To prevent that, after cleaning with wd40, use some silicon spray (available at autoparts stores) to wash it away and the silicone will provide better lubrication to the latches.

Oscar.

Add your comment to this topic!