Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

94 Olds cutlass supreme VSS location

Johnny_BGood
07-29-2011, 02:41 AM
Hello everyone i have a 1994 olds cutlasss supreme. Ill try to make this short. and i can add more info later if needed. I was driving the car today and i went like 60 miles with no problems. I came to a stop and when i took off the car was definitely not in first gear. i got back to highway speed and it wouldnt shift into over drive. when i let off the gas the speedometer dropped from 70 to like down to almost nothing at all and when id give it gas again the speedometer would like go up again like not at the actual speed i was traveling at though. I shut the car off for like an hour and got in and all was fine for a another 50 miles and then i came to a stop again and it was acting weird again. i finally got home and did some research on it and it appears that my VSS is not working properly weather it is a shorted wire or a bad sensor i have no clue but i heard both are very comon. ( The tranny shifts perfect at all times when it is working right it sat for a day and drove it again and made it a few miles while shifting perfectly no slipping at all ) So basicly a long story short im trying to figure out where the location of the VSS is exactly. If anyone could point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Jory

Johnny_BGood
07-29-2011, 02:43 AM
I forgot to add it has a 3.1 v6 4speed tranny in it

procaddytech
07-29-2011, 05:25 AM
Installed on the transaxle housing, just above the right front drive axle. 2 wire connector.

Johnny_BGood
07-30-2011, 01:24 AM
Thanks very much procaddytech. I found it and removed it. When i removed it i noticed it had some metal shavings on it which to me didnt seem very abnormal considering the car has 194,000 + miles on it im guessing some is expected. So here is what i did. i removed it took a rag and cleaned off the shavings real good and inspected it for any cracks and didnt find anything. so i thought well it was very easy to remove im gonna put it back in and see if maybe it was just dirty and not working properly because of that. I installed it again and gave it a road test for about 20 miles and it works perfectly. Is that even possible? Yesterday i drove it like 5 miles and it was all messed up and now after just cleaning it it seems alright. Im confused to say the least seems odd that it could have been just the shavings on it that were messing it up but from what i can tell its good to go. Let me know if you have or anyone else has any ideas at all about this and what you think. Seems to simple to me. Thanks in advance for any feedback and i will be back to let you know if it did fix my problem 100% or not. Thanks again !!! Jory

procaddytech
07-30-2011, 04:44 AM
Good to hear. It is very possible the metal shavings were intefering with the speed sensor output. It is a magnet and as a toothed reluctor wheel on the final drive passes by with it's high and low sections an ac voltage is induced by the sensor and the amplitude of the voltage increases with speed. The metal will affect the air gap and the accuracy of the on/off cycle, it may not even see a low spot sometimes. Metal is always something to check for on any magnetic sensor. You are right, a little bit of metal does not condemn your transmission. The only other things to check while you were in that area would be the reluctor wheel for cracks or looseness (would have had to use a mirror) and more importantly the terminals in the connector and the wires from it for kinks or chaffing. One may have been moved enough to fix the concern. If you ever see a wire that is kinked in a suspect circuit, it may be broke inside the insulation, just give it a little tug and if it is broke the insulation will stretch and break. Sounds to me like you got it though. Good job!

Johnny_BGood
08-14-2011, 05:15 AM
Well it only lasted like 50 miles and im back to the same issues. I tried 2 different sensors and still the same thing. The wires are very hard to get to bout all i can do is feel my way around cant hardly see them at all. Im guessing a wire wore through somewhere or something. Just need to figure out where. Does anyone else have any thoughts on this ?Is it possible that it is something inside the transmission maybe? iv never seen the inside of one of these so i have no clue how it works exactly. Oh and the abs has been out for quite a while now so i pulled the relay for it cause it was acting very weird. But that was like a year ago i cant imagine the wheel sensors have anything to do with the problem im having now or it would have acted up long ago. Like i said this was just crusing down the highway one day and i came to a stop light and its been messed up ever since. Wiring? thats where im headed im thinking. Pain in the arse but im thinking it has to be that. Any info would be greatly appreciated thanks a lot !!! Jory

Add your comment to this topic!