Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

88 camaro steering column problem

country70
07-28-2011, 01:17 PM
I have replaced an 88 steering column with an 84 column now the car wont fire. Everything matched up and connected. The only problem we had was that the horn wouldnt shut off so we disconnected it. Now the car wont fire.

-Josh-
07-28-2011, 02:44 PM
Just cause the wires are the same color doesn't mean they're the same (ground, power etc...)

Did you get the owners manual for both cars to be sure?

country70
07-28-2011, 11:02 PM
No we didn't check the manual we were told 82-92 shoulda worked!! We have 84 project car and the column got busted in 88 so installed it!! It cranks but won't fire.

procaddytech
07-29-2011, 06:19 AM
Did the 88 key have a Passlock pellet in it? Look for an orange wire coming out of the old column with 2 white wires coming out of it into a connector. If the 88 had theft deterrent the 84 needs to match it or the fuel injection may be disabled. There is away around it. Measure the resistance of the pellet in the key and use resistors to match it as closely as possible. Jump the resistors across the Passlock connector on the body side of the harness.

country70
08-02-2011, 01:33 PM
Ok we havent checked the wires but had to step away from the car for a few days it was making me angry. I will check the wires tonight if we get out to the farm. I was told I had to have an 88 column the 84 will not work. Can I rig it to work with jumping the resistors.

procaddytech
08-02-2011, 02:16 PM
Yes, BUT you will not have Passkey theft deterrent because it will be bypassed. If you have content theft deterrent, where the horn honks and lights flash when the car is unlocked without the key or remote, that portion will still function, just not the starting disable portion.
Measure your key pellet with a DMM to get the most accurate reading you can. You need to match that resistance and jump it across the connector that the 88 lock cylinder plugged into.
Or you can take the 88 ignition lock cylinder out of the column, tape the key in it, plug it back in and tie it up under the dash.

Add your comment to this topic!