I hear water boiling behind the dash? 2002 ram 1500

mikelj80
07-28-2011, 02:32 PM
was running hot so I added coolant. now the gauge is going up and down slightly and the heater doesn't blow hot air. a.c. seems fine.

jamesslcx
07-28-2011, 08:27 PM
HI mikelj80, you probably have an air pocket in the cooling system, keep overflow tank checked and add coolant as needed. Does your engine have a bleeder valve? Sound like you may have a leak.

Chris Stewart
07-29-2011, 06:29 PM
I've read of folks "burping" their cooling system by positioning the front/passenger side of the truck much higher than the rest of the truck with the engine running cold & the radiator cap off, keeping the radiator topped off until the engine gets to normal running temperature, then installing the radiator cap.

A bad radiator cap can keep the cooling system from building normal pressure too.

dksram
07-29-2011, 08:55 PM
Just remove the radiator cap while cold and start it up. Let the engine get to operating temps and add more water/antifreeze.
You have air in the system and you will continue to hear it until you get rid of it.
If it continues then you have a leak in the system.

angus10
08-16-2011, 04:32 PM
I've read of folks "burping" their cooling system by positioning the front/passenger side of the truck much higher than the rest of the truck with the engine running cold & the radiator cap off, keeping the radiator topped off until the engine gets to normal running temperature, then installing the radiator cap.

+1, that's how it's done. It's a PITA to get the air out of the system on these rigs.

Add your comment to this topic!