Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

I need to up date my stereo

pencilneck0
07-27-2011, 07:39 PM
I drive a 1999 S/w 2 wagon and I want to install a new stereo system,is this something I can do myself ?and can some one recommend a good online source to buy a fairly nice unit? Thanks for the input!

Ruley73
07-28-2011, 05:43 PM
I drive a 1999 S/w 2 wagon and I want to install a new stereo system,is this something I can do myself ?and can some one recommend a good online source to buy a fairly nice unit? Thanks for the input!

Yes, it is fairly easy. Your car will need a special mounting adapter for the radio. I would recommend Crutchfield (http://www.crutchfield.com)as a great place to buy a radio from online. If you buy a radio from them that costs more than $129 you get a free wiring harness and mounting adapter.

crxlvr
07-29-2011, 10:13 AM
Crutchfield is good for beginners to use because buying from them they usually include all the adapters and detailed pictures for a step by step explanation to install everything. However all of this comes at a price. If you can find the instructions online, or even ask around the boards for help. Radio shack currently offers a kenwood reciever with 2 6.5" speakers for 50 dollars, it has a cd am/fm, and mp3 plus a front facing aux jack for hooking up an ipod or something. Crutchfield is good for reference once you get the idea, but their prices are higher than most other places.

pencilneck0
07-29-2011, 06:02 PM
Yes, it is fairly easy. Your car will need a special mounting adapter for the radio. I would recommend Crutchfield (http://www.crutchfield.com)as a great place to buy a radio from online. If you buy a radio from them that costs more than $129 you get a free wiring harness and mounting adapter. thank you for the info,I went up to crutchfield and ordered a Kenwood unit for $99.99 free shipping plus an adapter kit at no extra charge.I cant wait to get it.

pencilneck0
08-08-2011, 07:34 PM
thank you for the info,I went up to crutchfield and ordered a Kenwood unit for $99.99 free shipping plus an adapter kit at no extra charge.I cant wait to get it.
Well,I received my stereo in the mail from Crutchfield and I am very impressed !they give you very good step by step instructions on removing your old unit and installing your new unit.It came off without a hitch.The new stereo is awesome.I will never buy from anyone else.

Add your comment to this topic!