Power Steering Pump Squeaking

duke_winchester
07-25-2011, 02:56 PM
I have a 97 GTP that I put a new power steering pump in, and the pump has seemed to squeak since the time I put it in. It gets less once the car is warmed up. I am pretty sure its the power steering pump because if I spray WD40 behind the power steering pump pulley, the squeak temporarily goes away, but it always comes back. The belt is new. I probably will have to change out the pump, but anyone know what would cause this and is there a quick fix as opposed to taking off the pump and putting a new one on. I know, that sounds lazy.

procaddytech
07-25-2011, 04:27 PM
When you pressed the pulley on the new pump did you stop when it was flush with the end of the shaft? If the pump shaft is sticking out of the pulley or is too far in the pulley the belt will not track right and squeak.

duke_winchester
07-27-2011, 08:25 PM
Yes the pulley is flush with the shaft of the power steering pump. I replaced the power steering pump again today and it is still chirping from the belt area. So, the power steering pump is new, the belt tensioner is new, I had the water pump off within the last two months and it seems ok. The harmonic balancer is new. Both the supercharger and drive belts are new. The other idler pulleys seems to turn fine and don't feel like anything is wrong with them. Could this result from crud on the pulleys themselves? I have been spraying WD40 around to try to find where they chirp is coming from. It seemed to go away when I sprayed down by the power steering pump, but maybe it was just getting on the belt? If thats the case, why would the chirp go away?

procaddytech
07-27-2011, 08:44 PM
The pulleys may need cleaning. Belt pilings or little pieces of rubber get in the pulley grooves. Sometimes they can be hard to get out. Remove the belts and try using a wire brush, pocket screwdriver, etc. Spray with brakecleaner or equivalent and blow with compressed air if possible. Good luck. Squeaks can be annoying!

rkvons
07-28-2011, 12:35 PM
Have you thought about this kind of stuff?

http://www.amazon.com/Permatex-80073-Belt-Dressing-oz/dp/B000BOKN8Y

duke_winchester
07-28-2011, 02:07 PM
I think I fixed it. A few months back when I was working on the water pump, I broke a bolt from the power steering pump off in the engine block. Two shops tried to get it out but couldn't. They actually ground down some parts of the block upon which the power steering pump sits. After I managed to get the broken bolt out myself, I tried to build the areas back up with JB weld, but I guess I did not do a good job, as when I looked closely at the power steering pump today, the pump was tilted somewhat causing the pulley to not be completely in line with the rest of the pulleys. I used an aluminum plate behind the pump and now it sits properly and there is no noise yet. Fingers crossed.

procaddytech
07-28-2011, 07:11 PM
It should be fine now. Any misalignment will cause the belt to drag and scrub and of course squeak. Good job on finding and correcting the cause! As far as belt dressing goes, avoid it. It is a band-aid that makes a mess of things.

duke_winchester
07-28-2011, 08:48 PM
Thanks for everyone's help. Much appreciated.

99kylec
07-29-2011, 11:13 AM
have you replaced the tensioner the has the coolant elbows on it?

duke_winchester
07-29-2011, 11:50 AM
Yes. The tensioner assembly for the main belt is new. Thanks though. I am pretty sure getting the power steering pump to sit properly has fixed the problem. Still no more chirping.

Add your comment to this topic!