Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Changed lots of parts, 85 Camaro will not start

Dcdoc45
07-24-2011, 09:00 AM
ok,
This post is for a friend of mine as he doesn't have internet access.
He bought an 85 Camaro with the 305 FI vin F. The car has run fine for almost a year. The other day he started the car up, it ran great, backed up about 10 feet and the car died. The car will turn over, but will not start. won't even attempt to start. Pulled the codes off the (old) computer, and it indicated the MAF and the EGR. The plugs are wet, and when he grounds out a spark plug he gets fire. He has replaced:

MAF
Dist cap
Rotor
Ignition module in the rotor
Coil
New wires
new fuel relay
new ECM (but not the prom chips using old prom chips)
Checked the fuel at the fuel rail, it is 40 psi

When he looked at the old rotor, there was a hole burned in the coil pickup, not sure if that makes a diff or not, maybe it was just an old rotor.
He takes off the dist cap and the rotor is rotating.

Any suggestion on what to test or look at would be greatly appreciated.

Don

Dcdoc45
08-03-2011, 09:34 AM
Bump

j cAT
08-04-2011, 09:20 AM
Bump

If this is the as built OEM engine what ya got is a TUNED Port Injected engine...

since the engine is flooded I would suspect a leaking/dirty injector ...also make sure the ECT engine coolant sensor is good ..this would control the cold start fuel flow which would flood the engine...

you mentioned a hole in the rotor...arcing may have damaged the ECM possibly.. with a blue spark you should get the engine to start...

If the plugs are wet they need cleaning/replacing/after checking for fuel injection leaks..

this is not a very common engine ..1985 was the first year..

40 psi may be a little low on fuel pressure ...I think 50 psi is what the rating is ..not sure though...

try to get a repair manual...

Add your comment to this topic!