Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Stereo Help!

Derk_eliso
07-23-2011, 07:37 PM
I've installed roughly 12ish stereos before into various vehicles, needless to say I'm not exactly a beginner... but when I went to install an aftermarket stereo into my SL1 I found something kind of weird...

The stock stereo had an adapter on it already and it was a Single DIN stereo. Nevertheless I had already bought a wiring harness and I used that for the stereo, got it all wired up, 100% correctly, double triple checked, and now when I put the car in the start position to check and see if it works it won't power on...

I can hit the eject button and it lights up and ejects... and if I hit the display button then it will light up and show the time for about 10seconds then go back off....

The stock stereo had a grounding wire that was hooked up to the chassis and I've tried using it and just using the ground from the harness, doesn't work either way... The stereo came out of another vehicle and was working fine when I took it out.

Its a 2002 Saturn SL1 and I'm trying to install a JVC KD-HDR60

Heres a link for the new stereo: http://support.jvc.com/consumer/product.jsp?modelId=MODL028604&pathId=54&page=3&archive=true

and this is the stock stereo: http://www.dhgate.com/2002-sl1-saturn-factory-stock-radio/r-ff8080812d119898012d121f2fee1d89.html

Ruley73
07-24-2011, 11:14 PM
...The stock stereo had an adapter on it already and it was a Single DIN stereo. Nevertheless I had already bought a wiring harness and I used that for the stereo, got it all wired up, 100% correctly, double triple checked, and now when I put the car in the start position to check and see if it works it won't power on...

Check it again. It sounds like the ignition/accessory wire from the radio is either not hooked up at all or is currently hooked up to the wrong wire, and preventing the radio from turning on.

The aftermarket wiring harnesses for these cars are meant for use with Saturn S-Series (2000-2002), L-Series (2000-2005), Vue (2002-2003), and Ion (2003 only). For the most part the wiring is the same between these models EXCEPT for the aforementioned accessory/ignition lead. For your 2002 SL1, the switched ignition/accessory lead from the radio needs to be hooked up the the wire going to the A6 position on the plug (it's A4 for SW/Vue, A6 for SC/SL/Ion, or B2 for L-Series).

Derk_eliso
07-25-2011, 05:51 AM
Yeah, my buddy came out last night to help me and that's what we found out. We touched the red and yellow together and it came on, so we determined the red wasn't getting power and that was the ignition/acc. So we used a voltmeter to find the live wire from behind the harness and just spliced off that wire. Had nothing to do with the ground/chassis.

But yeah, problem solved... for any future people who search for this, that was the problem. And thanks again for your valueless input!

Add your comment to this topic!