Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

01 GEM/Fuse Block (Central Junction Box) Problems

djtroz
07-22-2011, 11:13 PM
I have been facing the dreaded leaking windshield for years now. The problem originally started when heavy rain came through and simply my wipers would not work and the ABS light would come on. The next day after the GEM would dry, everything is back to normal. More recently the problem became more progressive and wouldn't allow the truck to start and ultimately killed the starter (two weeks ago). Being I live in FL, I knew this is something I need to tend to quickly as hurricane season is here.

Today, heavy storms had come through and while outside, I hear what sounded like the starter quickly trying to engage. This happened for a split second each time. On the third time, the damn thing starts cranking. After a few seconds it stops then cranks again. Finally while I am running out to pull the -cable, it cranks and grinds the starter. I get the cable off and decide it's time to look at the GEM.

I pull it out along with the fuse block (CJB) and find no moisture in the GEM and the board looks great. However, looking at the back of the CJB, towards the very bottom, I see some green corrosion. I start to life back the plastic cover and see plently of corrosion in the bottom of it.

So with this said, my thought is to open the CJB, clean it out, close it up and seal it with epoxy or silicone. Problem is, I can't get it open. I pushed on all the pry tabs but I believe the nuts with the two large electrical harnesses bolt into are preventing it. Also, is the water falling from the top or travelling down the wire harness then into the block??

Add your comment to this topic!