Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Car buying: Honda Prelude or Ford Focus?

Silverduck
07-21-2011, 10:12 PM
Hi everyone,
I just graduated from college, and shopping for a car on a limited budget ($4k).
I need something reliable, and soon.
I have two cars that I'm looking at:

The first is a 2005 Ford Focus, reconstructed title but supposedly that's from body damage that was repaired. The Focus has 108,000mi, the timing belt has not been done, and it may or may not need new tires. On the other hand it does drive well and it's cheaper, practical, and gets better gas mileage. $3300.
http://westernmass.craigslist.org/cto/2485663413.html

The second is a 1993 Honda Prelude. The guy who owns the car took really good care of it. He claims it's his baby, and everything about it actually confirms that. This car drives well and everything is in good shape, except surface rust around the wheel well.
The down side is that I live in Massachusetts, and I need a car that can handle the winter. The custom body kit side panels would have to come off, and I don't know how difficult that is. Also, can the prelude deal with snow? And the gas mileage is definitely worse so that's a concern. Cost $4200, which is a bit more than I wanted to spend.
http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/cto/2500555878.html

My primary concern is reliability. (I'm trying not to be seduced by the fact that the prelude is a pretty car) Which car should I go for, or should I wait till something better comes along?

Thanks!

speediva
07-22-2011, 08:35 AM
First and foremost, RUN from the Focus. They are notorious for being wholly unreliable, and you do NOT get an R-title from minor body damage. An R-title is when the car is seriously wrecked and the insurance company declares it a "total loss" and then someone decides they want to spend the money to get it sorta-kinda back to normal again.

Second, RUN from the Prelude. I know it's a Honda, but it's WAAAAAAY too old and is going to cost you a fortune in parts - especially since it was limited in its production years. Plus the body mods mean it's probably been owned by some teenager with compensation issues and has most likely been ridden hard and put away wet.

You're really truly better off finding something LATE 90s if not 2000s with a clean title that's been owned by a little old lady who never drove it. Stick with the Hondas if you want for reliability - or even Toyota or Nissan. You can definitely get something in your price range that hasn't been molested. I just bought a 97 Civic 7 months ago for $3000 and the previous owner had just replaced a TON of stuff on it (which meant I didn't have to). You just have to be patient.

Good luck & keep us posted!

Hungrycat7
07-22-2011, 06:40 PM
I must second the previous comment about the Focus. I am the current owner of a Focus and it is by far the worst car I have owned in my life. The car has been taken care of its entire life and is still nothing but a money pit. I was given the car at an incredible price from a family member. Saying yes to the deal was the worst decision I have ever made in the automobile category.

Silverduck
07-25-2011, 09:10 PM
Thanks for the suggestions! Wise suggestions prevailed, and I am now the proud owner of a '96 Subaru SVX. It was much cheaper than the other cars, although with a few thousand more miles. The guy I bought it from did a bunch of work (new breaks, tires, etc), then sold it to help pay his son's tuition. It was cheaper, too, $2700. So, I think I got a good deal. :)

speediva
07-25-2011, 09:13 PM
Fantastic! Congrats! You should post a thread in the SVX forum with lots of pics! I love pics of "new to people" cars. :D

Add your comment to this topic!