Yukon 2005 6.0 engine Oil Change Interval

Cusser
07-21-2011, 09:55 PM
Yukon 2005 6.0 engine; I'd like recommendations on oil change interval/mileage using Mobil 1 synthetic oil. We just got this Yukon in August, and I did a Mobil 1 oil change soon after. I guess with 6000 mile interval with conventional oil, what would be typical for synthetic oil like Mobil 1. Mrs. Cusser does a mix of city and highway driving, and tows horse trailer less than 2% of the time. Thanks.

j cAT
07-22-2011, 08:01 PM
Yukon 2005 6.0 engine; I'd like recommendations on oil change interval/mileage using Mobil 1 synthetic oil. We just got this Yukon in August, and I did a Mobil 1 oil change soon after. I guess with 6000 mile interval with conventional oil, what would be typical for synthetic oil like Mobil 1. Mrs. Cusser does a mix of city and highway driving, and tows horse trailer less than 2% of the time. Thanks.

the mobil 1 synthetic oil I find is still good at the 8,ooo mi change period I use..also the use of the purolator PURE one oil filters changed at the 3500-4000 mi point...

I know of other owners that go 12 ,000 mi on this oil and change the oil filter at 6,ooo mi...

since you live in the hot ,very hot area I would go with the 8,ooo mi ..

the mobil 1 synthetic is so far after now 11 yrs, in this 2000 silverado no oil issues at all ...135,ooomi...

did you say 6,ooo miles on dino/conventional oil ???? that is far too long in my opinion ....4,ooo miles thats the max...

jrecken
07-22-2011, 09:18 PM
If you want to know for sure how far you can go on your oil change I suggest you send an oil sample to Blackstone Labs for analysis. For $35 bucks they will tell you how your engine is wearing and how long you can go on the oil sample you sent them.
I can tell you it is worth the money.

Cusser
07-23-2011, 12:49 AM
Thanks, j CAT. I read numerous posts of yours, and I respect your opinion. I think 8K is a good number. I think I'll just do the change Saturday morning at 8K before I go away for the weekend, rather than waiting until mid-August before I go on vacation. It's like flipping a coin, and no real reason to wait 3 more weeks, it's hot either way here in Arizona....

j cAT
07-23-2011, 07:54 AM
Thanks, j CAT. I read numerous posts of yours, and I respect your opinion. I think 8K is a good number. I think I'll just do the change Saturday morning at 8K before I go away for the weekend, rather than waiting until mid-August before I go on vacation. It's like flipping a coin, and no real reason to wait 3 more weeks, it's hot either way here in Arizona....

thanks for you comments. the oil will get darker when it starts loosing its lubricating/cleaning/cooling abilities...

the oil filter used , and how well the engine is running will fully determine how long to go..

oil testing is used by contractors I know on the heavy earth moving machines..these cost alot to repair and then the lost time hurts more... on a vehicle like we own this is not that much of a mystery..unless your using this vehicle in some uncommon way..

with the dust storms out your way clean out the air box and other engine components if you had the vehicle exposed to those dust storms...I live here in the green country of MASS. , but I was out there in scottsdale a few years ago when one hit...that dust gets into everything .. yesterday arizona came here it was 104deg f at my house..

dewpoint was 70 deg f..

danielsatur
07-23-2011, 08:14 AM
I would get in the habit of checking the oil once a week if changing every 8k miles, because Yukons will drink oil.

Cusser
07-23-2011, 09:29 AM
j cAT - The Yukon was not driven during the two dust storms.

With my 1988 B2200 (which I'm doing pistons/rings/connecting rod bearings/cylinder head in October at 180K miles due to smoking) I had to drive about 12 miles in the heart of that, just watching the tail and brake lights of the guys in front of me. I have a Weber carb with a K&N type air filter on it, and it was really clogged bad (but still ran OK). I had never even seen it one-tenth that dirty before. This B2200 is the one I've "extended" the oil "change" interval on because it drinks at least a pint of oil a week, and smokes, typical of B2200 engines over 160K miles.

danielsatur - Like I said, we've only had this 2005 Yukon just under a year. I do check the oil level regularly, and especially before any trip of 100 miles or more, and mine doesn't seem to use oil. I bought two filter/six-packs of Mobil 1 in a Pep Boys deal day after Thanksgiving, used one for its first oil change, still have the second pack intact. The previous owner (who had purchased it at auction but 2 years later couldn't afford it/house payments etc) told me he used synthetic oil. My 1994 Suburban 5.7liter/350 was also not a real oil user, even when it had 210K miles.

j cAT
07-23-2011, 07:32 PM
j cAT - The Yukon was not driven during the two dust storms.

With my 1988 B2200 (which I'm doing pistons/rings/connecting rod bearings/cylinder head in October at 180K miles due to smoking) I had to drive about 12 miles in the heart of that, just watching the tail and brake lights of the guys in front of me. I have a Weber carb with a K&N type air filter on it, and it was really clogged bad (but still ran OK). I had never even seen it one-tenth that dirty before. This B2200 is the one I've "extended" the oil "change" interval on because it drinks at least a pint of oil a week, and smokes, typical of B2200 engines over 160K miles.

danielsatur - Like I said, we've only had this 2005 Yukon just under a year. I do check the oil level regularly, and especially before any trip of 100 miles or more, and mine doesn't seem to use oil. I bought two filter/six-packs of Mobil 1 in a Pep Boys deal day after Thanksgiving, used one for its first oil change, still have the second pack intact. The previous owner (who had purchased it at auction but 2 years later couldn't afford it/house payments etc) told me he used synthetic oil. My 1994 Suburban 5.7liter/350 was also not a real oil user, even when it had 210K miles.

WITH THE 5.3L /6.o L engines when properly cared for and using 5-30wt/10-30 wt oil they run very good well over 170 ,ooo mi with no oil use issues.. synthetic oil and good filters like the mobil 1 filters and the pure one I use work at reducing the engine wear..

the old engines like an 1988 vehicle did not get that type of product to keep the engine from wearing out ..

It is good that you had not run the new vehicle in that dust storm ..I guess you had a couple this year..

mobil 1 or other pure synthetic oils work great in these newer engines and should keep the engines running strong for many thousands of miles..some use the 10-40wt oil this causes , the engine to use oil...10-40wt was banned by GM decades ago ..some however think 10-40wt is better than 10-30...not so..

danielsatur
08-12-2011, 05:46 PM
8k miles with Mobile 1 on a 2005 Mazda Tribute/140k miles with no oil shortage.
I will change the oil + filter at 10K miles, and keep a sample for a testing.

Add your comment to this topic!