replaced the starter now engine wont stay running

jgriner
07-21-2011, 07:48 PM
so I bought a used starter from ebay.

I installed the starter today, now the new (to me) starter barly will crank the engine, but it will start.

New problem, when I give the truck gas, then let it go back to idle, it will die. How could replacing the starter cause this problem? what the heck did I do?

Thanks john

danielsatur
07-22-2011, 07:56 AM
How old is your battery?
Are the connections tight?

1) Have both the battery + alternator load tested at your local Auto parts store.

You need a strong battery for the starter, ECU, BCM, Electric Fuel pump, and other control modules for todays Auto's.

jgriner
07-22-2011, 08:21 AM
How old is your battery?
Are the connections tight?

1) Have both the battery + alternator load tested at your local Auto parts store.

You need a strong battery for the starter, ECU, BCM, Electric Fuel pump, and other control modules for todays Auto's.

the battery was fine before I swaped the starter, I did kinda short it out, during the swap, maybe I blew something internally in the battery?

danielsatur
07-22-2011, 08:30 AM
Don't tell them about the short, let them run the test for results.
The warrenty might just cover the cost of a new battery.

angus10
08-16-2011, 03:57 PM
This problem would be easy to fix. But without knowing what year the truck is , I aint gonna bother.

soupcan fs
08-28-2011, 10:12 PM
you disconected power for a while if you did the ecm lost memory and you need to run it for a while and it should get better then shut off and restart. bumper to bumper auto john

jgriner
08-28-2011, 10:28 PM
you disconected power for a while if you did the ecm lost memory and you need to run it for a while and it should get better then shut off and restart. bumper to bumper auto john

thats what was causing the problem, I drove it to the end of the road, and poof it was all better, The next day I disconnected the battery again and it started dying again, until i drove it for a bit.....

ecm, is the computer right? does that mean my computer is compensating for some time of engine problem? if so where should i look?

soupcan fs
08-29-2011, 04:15 PM
thats what was causing the problem, I drove it to the end of the road, and poof it was all better, The next day I disconnected the battery again and it started dying again, until i drove it for a bit.....

ecm, is the computer right? does that mean my computer is compensating for some time of engine problem? if so where should i look?
no it will do that evry time you disconnect the battery so if you leave it connected and it works good after tthe computer goes through a learning phase youre good also if youre battery falls under 10 volts it can couse the same thing to happen.

Add your comment to this topic!