Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

00 sunfire replace strut bearings?

comet240
07-21-2011, 02:13 PM
hi i have a 2000 sunfire i went to certify it and they told my sister i need new struts but i guessing the bearings cuz it make noises when u turn but i didnt think the bearing were part of the safety

either way how do i do that job?

82Stang
07-22-2011, 06:44 PM
Anything in the suspension that is bent, broken or maladjusted, can be failed for state inspection. And unless you have a spring compressor, you won't be able to change the strut mount. The whole strut assembly can be removed from the vehicle without too much trouble and then brought to a repair shop where they can compress the spring and replace the strut mount.

Tech II
08-08-2011, 07:30 PM
These bearings/mounts are REAL noisy in cold weather....soon as summer comes, things expand and the noise goes away....when you look at the bearing, you almost laugh, or in some cases cry.....

comet240
08-11-2011, 07:29 AM
ya i crying right now i cant get the top nut off wont come loose sure the bearing turns and on this car its bad in summer when u turn it makes a banging sound lol
i got the replacement one ya i crying cuz just 2 plastic parts put together lol

so how do i get it it loose

so i got the spring compressors on too so what are the steps i hope the whole thing doesnt have to come out?

comet240
08-16-2011, 04:50 PM
ok so i have replaced both sides and a strut but i got a problem i never remembered where the spring sat so i looked on my other sunfire and cav tried those positions then it didnt work turned sprinng more but still doesnt work if i press on the fender bouncing on the car the spring compresss but hte shaft comes up a bit so there is play but i cant tighten anymore as the shaft spins is there a specal tool that holds the bolt and that u can twist the shaft tighter? to the nut?

comet240
08-22-2011, 04:57 PM
so does anyone know if there is a special tool to tighte the top nut for the strut after replacing the bearig since there is still play in it

e40water12
02-20-2012, 04:47 PM
Doesn't sound like a suspension bearing, Sounds more like a strut mount it self. It gets old the rubber shrinks in size. and causes the mount to make noise. Common issue with these cars. Ive changed mine 2 times on my 01 cavalier.

rkvons
02-21-2012, 12:16 PM
so does anyone know if there is a special tool to tighte the top nut for the strut after replacing the bearig since there is still play in it
You have the springs compressed, get the nut started on the end as far as you can before the shaft starts to turn on you, then you release the spring compressors to put force on the nut, and finally use an impact to turn the nut. That's how I do it. Sometimes you can put a wrench on the top of the shaft to hold it while you turn the nut. I've done that too.

e40water12
02-23-2012, 08:03 PM
Yes I agree with the last post. If you got an impact wrench or air Ratchet with the coil spring slightly compressed with the Anchor's. I top nut will undo nicely.

Add your comment to this topic!