Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

92 Accord AC Chirping Noise

ProMan
07-20-2011, 12:58 PM
Both my 2 92 Accord have the same issue. When the AC is on and the car is idling, I can hear some kind of chirping noise. Only at idle. When driving, there is no noise at all.

Anyone has the same problem? Thanks.

jeffcoslacker
07-20-2011, 05:58 PM
Shoot WD-40 on the belt while idling and see what happens.

BullShifter
07-20-2011, 06:25 PM
May need a new belt or the belt is loose.

crxlvr
07-22-2011, 06:46 PM
spraying anything on a belt is a bad idea, find the cause of the chirp. wd-40 or belt lube will only shorten the belt life and cause premature wear and tear. check the pulleys and replace as needed.

ProMan
07-29-2011, 02:13 PM
Guys,

Thanks for the opinions.

For the belt, I know what it sounds like if it slips. This is different noise, it's like bird chirping. Not sure if it's really caused by the belt. Doesn't sound like it though.

To spray WD-40 onto the belt, I don't think it's a good idea. Since WD-40 is a lubricant, that's what you don't want to put onto the belt. I would use brake parts cleaner to clean up the pulley instead if the belt slipage is suspected.

And if it's the pulley that goes bad, then the noise should be worse when at high speed, but this is not the case, it only chirps when idling.

Any other ideas? TIA.

BullShifter
07-29-2011, 07:01 PM
A belt doesn't need to slip to make noise. The first thing I would is make sure they are tight and look ok. If not tighten and/or replace. If that's not the case then it's time to pull off the belts and spin all the pulleys by hand.

jeffcoslacker
07-29-2011, 07:44 PM
WD-40 never hurt a belt...it's too light and evaporative to stay on it anyway...and does condition it to some degree...but will make a momentary difference in the sound if caused by serp belt misalignment, embedded objects, oily film, coolant, improper tension, you name it.

If you hit both faces whiloe running and it makes no difference, then you've verifed it's not any of the common problems belts have. Then I'd start looking at the clutch...they tend to chirp or jingle when improperly adjusted or worn...or perhaps the head bearings in the compressor...

Add your comment to this topic!