Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Hard Shifting

bjd088
07-19-2011, 12:29 PM
Hi I have a 1990 PA with 153000 miles on it. A while back I had the Mass Air Flow sensor go out in it, causing all kinds of RPM issues. Afterward, the shifting was hard and jerky. Also, when I'm taking a left turn, the transmission doesn't seem to engage at all. I'm hoping it's a CV joint or something cheaper than the Tranny. Any help is appreciated.

trannyman52
07-20-2011, 10:34 AM
Hi I have a 1990 PA with 153000 miles on it. A while back I had the Mass Air Flow sensor go out in it, causing all kinds of RPM issues. Afterward, the shifting was hard and jerky. Also, when I'm taking a left turn, the transmission doesn't seem to engage at all. I'm hoping it's a CV joint or something cheaper than the Tranny. Any help is appreciated.

Early 4T60s trans had a vacume modulator,,,this controls trans line pressure,,,if you were fooling with MAF,,,,you my have bumped,,,disconnected a vacume line,,,which will allow modulator to sence a wide open throttle,,,lotsa line pressure,,,bumpy shifts.......
This trans also has issues with the oil level,,,especially on turns,,,curves on road,,,,over-fill trans by about a quart,,,will not hurt trans,,,won't blow seals or other BS......

Add your comment to this topic!