Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

hot ac in rear need info

big white bufflo
07-19-2011, 09:58 AM
my wifes windstar has hot ac in rear stealer said restriced accumlator in rear unit .im looking for rear accumlator at parts store but no one shows it do they use the same one in back or is dealer giveing me wrong info . what could they be talking about .i work on every thing but have not had this thing apart yet i want to get parts and get it fixed :banghead:

grog11
07-19-2011, 12:15 PM
The dealer has certainly given you the wrong information. There is only one accumulator for both front and rear evaporators on your Windstar. There is a rear evaporator expansion valve connected directly to the rear evaporator, located behind the driver side plastic cover under the rear window.These valves can stick closed. The self regulating expansion valve is easy to change, but will require evacuating the R134a from the system 1st.

Do make sure your hot air is blowing only from the rear ceiling vents only when calling for AC.There have been issues with the front dash ac control switch preventing the rear control ventilation actuator from switching air vents from floor to ceiling for AC.

Attached expansion valve photo for reference, the temp bulb is unwrapped to show low side location.

big white bufflo
07-20-2011, 08:57 AM
tranks for the info this van has eaten two pump the last one the dealer put in they say they flushed the system we got it back rear ac was fine for a little then it went south you think i should change the evaporator and the valve because of possible contamination

grog11
07-20-2011, 10:45 AM
You don't mention that you have checked high & low side pressures to see if they are with in guidelines, you should do that 1st.

If the front section AC has been working fine and still is, you probably can just change the expansion valve without a need for a flush.
While the AC system is open you can check the front to back lines for restriction by blowing nitrogen thru them to check for obstructions or debris if you have a concern.

You should also think about changing the accumulator located under the hood at the same time as the expansion valve replacement. Its a good practice.

Here is an excellent link to the solution to no rear AC due to vacuum line problem, and the dash control switch.

http://www.fordforumsonline.com/forum/heating-air-conditioning-cooling-systems/153-windstar-rear-ac-problems.html

manyhobies
07-23-2011, 12:17 AM
The dealer has certainly given you the wrong information. There is only one accumulator for both front and rear evaporators on your Windstar. There is a rear evaporator expansion valve connected directly to the rear evaporator, located behind the driver side plastic cover under the rear window.These valves can stick closed. The self regulating expansion valve is easy to change, but will require evacuating the R134a from the system 1st.

Do make sure your hot air is blowing only from the rear ceiling vents only when calling for AC.There have been issues with the front dash ac control switch preventing the rear control ventilation actuator from switching air vents from floor to ceiling for AC.

Attached expansion valve photo for reference, the temp bulb is unwrapped to show low side location.

I have a 98 Windstar. I had hot air blowing out of the upper vents when I wanted AC. The problem I found was the switch on the dash that controls the rear fan. Well this switch also controls vacuum to the rear AC. If there is vacuum to the rear AC the vacuum motor pulls and you get heat. Look under the van you you'll see a vacuum motor hooked up to a valve on the water lines.

I tried to figure out why the switch was acting up but gave up. Probably a bad seal.

Here is my "fix".

I pulled the dash pannel off and pulled the vacuum conection off of the switch. I took a small fuel line and put it in the live side of the conetion. During the summer, when I want AC, I tie a knot in the line and let the other end hang. When I want vacuum to the rear, I untie the hose and stick it in the other side.

Clear as mud?

AC has been really nice to have this summer!

Regards

Dan

big white bufflo
07-31-2011, 07:05 PM
well i got around to working on wifes winni i found the exspansion valve pluged with shaving from pump now its time to take it back to dealer for a flush and charge

Add your comment to this topic!