Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Low Power, strange noise.. '95 2.2 S-10

Quazzy
07-19-2011, 01:00 AM
I read through most of the threads and didn't really see my problem. Just picked up this '95. It says 36k on the odometer (noone was able to prove this, but it's rust free and super clean..) and I'm having a couple issues. First, it has no power..even with the 5 spd.. I had an old, giant motor home pull away from me from a stoplight today! haha.. Takes off fine til about 2-3k RPM, but if I keep on the gas, it hits around 3-3500 RPM and just stops there, and won't rev any more.. I'm imagining there's low fuel pressure or something, but I've had low pressure in other vehicles before and never had a significant power loss like this.. I haven't had a chance to put a gauge on it yet, but I'm gonna try soon. I've driven a 2.2 S10 before, so I know I'm running about half HP with this one. But, I also have a loud ticking coming from somewhere on the fuel rail.. So loud it sounds like a damn diesel.. It's not an internal tick, and it's not the injectors (I can hear them too).. I've been a mechanic for a long time, but this thing is really throwing a curveball at me. Almost feels like I have a tennis ball stuck in the airbox. Yes, I looked! Any ideas? Are FPR's a common problem on these? Shoot me any ideas! Thanks!

MT-2500
07-19-2011, 03:26 AM
I read through most of the threads and didn't really see my problem. Just picked up this '95. It says 36k on the odometer (noone was able to prove this, but it's rust free and super clean..) and I'm having a couple issues. First, it has no power..even with the 5 spd.. I had an old, giant motor home pull away from me from a stoplight today! haha.. Takes off fine til about 2-3k RPM, but if I keep on the gas, it hits around 3-3500 RPM and just stops there, and won't rev any more.. I'm imagining there's low fuel pressure or something, but I've had low pressure in other vehicles before and never had a significant power loss like this.. I haven't had a chance to put a gage on it yet, but I'm gonna try soon. I've driven a 2.2 S before, so I know I'm running about half HP with this one. But, I also have a loud ticking coming from somewhere on the fuel rail.. So loud it sounds like a damn diesel.. It's not an internal tick, and it's not the injectors (I can hear them too).. I've been a mechanic for a long time, but this thing is really throwing a curveball at me. Almost feels like I have a tennis ball stuck in the airbox. Yes, I looked! Any ideas? Are FPR's a common problem on these? Shoot me any ideas! Thanks!

First thing is to find the noise.

Old school mechanics is to run a vacuum check on it.
THE CHEAPEST AND MOST EFFECTIVE TEST EVER INVENTED.
And it shows and tells more about engine running than any other tester.
What is the engine vacuum at idle and at 2K RPM.
Any needle fluctuations on vacuum gage?

Newer school mechanics is check fuel pressure and codes and or check engine lights?

Has Engine timing been checked?
Has Engine compression and cylinder balance test been done?

Quazzy
07-19-2011, 12:28 PM
Thanks for the reply..

I haven't had time to do any testing on it yet.. I just picked it up in a trade deal a few days ago. I know I have decent vacuum, but I haven't put a gauge on it. I have no lights on, or other signs from the ECM.. I did the old "hose to the ear" trick and the noise seems to be coming from some small module on top of the center of the fuel rail. And, I haven't checked timing yet. And I didn't see any fuel when I pulled the line off the FPR.. For some reason, I can't find my book on these, so I'll hafta get another one to figure out what sensors/modules this thing has on it and their locations.. I was just fishing to see if anyone else has had a similar problem and could point me in a direction before I go all crazy digging into it.. It runs tight, and there aren't any other issues other than the tick and the lack of power..

MT-2500
07-19-2011, 04:09 PM
Thanks for the reply..

I haven't had time to do any testing on it yet.. I just picked it up in a trade deal a few days ago. I know I have decent vacuum, but I haven't put a gauge on it. I have no lights on, or other signs from the ECM.. I did the old "hose to the ear" trick and the noise seems to be coming from some small module on top of the center of the fuel rail. And, I haven't checked timing yet. And I didn't see any fuel when I pulled the line off the FPR.. For some reason, I can't find my book on these, so I'll hafta get another one to figure out what sensors/modules this thing has on it and their locations.. I was just fishing to see if anyone else has had a similar problem and could point me in a direction before I go all crazy digging into it.. It runs tight, and there aren't any other issues other than the tick and the lack of power..

Use some proper testing as bait on your fishing hook.
The old vacumn gage is a very good cheap investment start.

Add your comment to this topic!