Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

98 Buick Regal no start

sammi_rae87
07-17-2011, 06:11 PM
I have a 98 Buick Regal which I just replaced the battery in, however it still won't start. All the lights and such work, however it won't crank or anything. The connections to the battery are all good. When I turn the key over I don't hear the starter engaging either. It's for sure getting fuel too. I believe it needs a new starter because it hasn't been replaced, but I'm just wondering if anybody else has had this problem and other view points. Thanks!!

GTP Dad
07-18-2011, 10:15 AM
Welcome to AF!!

There are two possible issues here. First the ignition switch is not making proper contact when you attempt to engage the starter. If you can get under the car and reach the back of the starter use a screwdriver to jump across the terminals. If the starter turns then the problem is with the ignition switch. If not the starter or solenoid is bad and will need replaced.

SuperFudd
08-27-2011, 06:18 PM
Do you hear the starter solenoid click?
Is this a problem that rarely hapened at first but got more frequent?
That was my situation with my 3.8L '96 Regal. Oil had been leaking on to the starter comentator and, over time, got burnt causing poorer and poorer connection. I had the starter replaced.

Tech II
08-28-2011, 08:49 AM
"I have a 98 Buick Regal which I just replaced the battery in, however it still won't start. "

Did you replace the battery, because it wasn't starting, or did this just happen after you replaced the battery?

Once again, look at the SECURITY light in the dash....turn key to on, don't crank....should come on for 3-5 seconds and then go out....

Does it stay on? If it does, then you have a problem with your theft deterrant system....does your ignition key have a black resistor pellet on it, or is it stamped PK3?

If the light does go out, then you need to attach a test light to the purple wire going to the starter solenoid....with the key in the crank position, the test light should light....it should be the same brightness at when you put the light across your battery terminals.....

If it is, then you have a bad starter.....can try giving the starter housing a love tap with a hammer as someone tried to crank it.....be very careful of ALL moving parts when you do this....

If the test light doesn't light, try starting in neutral.....still nothing? Then you need a wiring diagram to work your way backwards in the circuit to find the component failing, like the P/N switch, starter enable relay, ignition switch(this is to be checked if that SECURITY light went out after 5 seconds)....

Add your comment to this topic!