Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Small Hatchbacks Coming Up Big for Car Buyers

AF News Desk
07-17-2011, 04:33 PM
It seems the sexy new choice in small cars these days is the hatchback - at least that's what the Ford Motor Company is noticing in recent trends.

According to a recent story from the Detroit News, a large portion of the sales of their Fiesta and Focus have been the hatchback models.

These numbers are supported by data showing an increase of 63 percent in the sales of hatchback models within the U.S. for models in the 2006 to 2010 range.

The article from the Detroit News:

Hatchback models opening new door with U.S. buyers
Models gain despite traditional stigma

http://image.automobilemag.com/f/34627704+w750+st0/2012-ford-focus-hatchback-rear-three-quarters-static-driver.jpg
The 2012 Ford Focus Hatchback has been a favorite among buyers of small cars - and the numbers show it.

Ford Motor Co. is finding Americans do like hatchbacks — at least in small cars.

About half of the retail sales of Ford Fiestas are hatchback models, and so are 41 percent of retail sales of the new 2012 Ford Focus, which has been on the market only a few months.

Buyers are plunking down large deposits and ordering high trim levels and many features, said Robert Parker, Ford's group marketing manager.

"Between the fuel economy, the technology we're putting in the vehicles and the flexibility a five-door offers, we're seeing a lot more interest in our products," Parker said Monday.

Hatchbacks traditionally have been popular in Canada and Europe, but have not resonated well with American consumers. That appears to be changing. Data from WardsAuto.com shows the number of hatchbacks sold in the U.S. increased by 63 percent for the 2006-10 model years, from 291,853 to 475,048. Total car sales fell 23 percent in that period.

Europeans and Canadians, with less disposable income, often had a small car as the family vehicle. A hatchback offered more cargo space for the money. In the U.S., however, hatchbacks became synonymous with cheap cars, small engines and boring design.

"The hatch was the vehicle for college kids with no money; and they were usually ugly," said analyst Dave Sullivan of AutoPacific Inc. in Ann Arbor. But "the hatch stigma is disappearing," he said. Today they have "European flair and a lot of utility and good gas mileage."

"American car buyers have become appreciative of the convenience and flexibility that hatchback body styles offer after years of owning SUVs and crossovers," said Ford sales analyst George Pipas.

Sullivan argues that in reality, crossover drivers are driving hatchbacks — they just aren't calling it that.

Ford initially expected about 40 percent of Fiesta buyers would choose the five-door, but it has been trending as high as 60 percent and could end the year that way, Parker said. The unexpectedly high demand for the Fiesta hatch, he said, led Ford to adjust its sales projections for the Focus. The expectation now is a 50-50 split between the two body styles.

General Motors Co. offers a Chevrolet Cruze hatch in Europe, but didn't think there was enough demand to offer it here. Sullivan wonders whether GM could sell 30 percent more Cruzes if it offered a hatchback.

Chrysler Group LLC offers a compact hatch, the Dodge Caliber, but its sales paled compared with its predecessor, the Neon sedan. The replacement for the Caliber, due early next year, will be a Dodge sedan.

Ford plans to add the Focus ST performance hatch to its U.S. lineup next year.

apriddle@detnews.com
(313)222-2504

Moppie
07-17-2011, 04:58 PM
Sounds like the US finnally catching up with the rest of the world.

Hatchbacks have been very popular outside the US for decades. I don't think I've even seen a non-Hatchback Focus. The car was designed as a Hatch.

Black Lotus
07-17-2011, 08:22 PM
Yep, with Obama at the helm we'll all be so cash deprived (broke) in the US that we'll be driving ugly stupid boring eco politically correct destigmatized hatchbacks by 2013.
Then we will know that we have caught up with the rest of the world.
----------
Not me of course,
I have standards.
I'll turn up the boost and waste my fair share of cheap gas.
(petrol to you limeys)

jon@af
07-17-2011, 09:05 PM
I don't know that they'll become as prevalent here as they are overseas, but I do think they are beneficial for the country and the overall economy.

If you consider the number of Americans who are afraid to buy cars because of their size and fuel inefficiency while in a down economy, these cars offer a little peace of mind with their prices, efficiency and projected resale value.

It may not be flashy or traditional by American standards, but if it's something that helps stabilize our economy and pulls people away from the fear of buying, I'm certainly all for them.

jon@af
07-17-2011, 09:06 PM
Sounds like the US finnally catching up with the rest of the world.

Hatchbacks have been very popular outside the US for decades. I don't think I've even seen a non-Hatchback Focus. The car was designed as a Hatch.

I've seen non-hatch Focuses (Foci?) before - they just don't look as good as the hatchback models.

Moppie
07-18-2011, 12:04 AM
Yep, with Obama at the helm we'll all be so cash deprived (broke) in the US that we'll be driving ugly stupid boring eco politically correct destigmatized hatchbacks by 2013.
Then we will know that we have caught up with the rest of the world.
----------
Not me of course,
I have standards.
I'll turn up the boost and waste my fair share of cheap gas.
(petrol to you limeys)

You have standards, which is why you drive a light weight sports car made by some limeys. Don't blow your diff when you turn up the boost :lol2:

There are Hatchbacks, and there are Hatchbacks. I have yet to see what I would consider a proper hatch being sold in the US.
They have always been given watered down, low spec, base model crap versions of what the rest of the world gets.

It has something to do with Americans associating anemic V8s, acres of cheap plastic and very soft springs with high value luxury and performance.

The Focus maybe the first real, mass market Hatch that shows Americans what a true Hatch is.
Sophisticated, fun to drive, very practical, reliable, safe and efficient to run.

I've seen non-hatch Focuses (Foci?) before - they just don't look as good as the hatchback models.

Yip, because they are an after thought for the US market.

speediva
07-18-2011, 03:44 PM
I don't think I've ever seen a hatchback Focus before....

I can say that yesterday over the course of about 550+ miles of road trip, I saw an innumerable number of hatch Fiestas. The suckers are EVERYWHERE! They fit a niche, but I wouldn't want to be in the back seat in the event of a rear-end accident...

Add your comment to this topic!