Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

Accords cuts off while driving.... PLEASE HELP!!!

jlrbruc23
07-15-2011, 09:30 AM
Hello,

My 1998 honda accord shuts off randomly while driving. I usually just throw it in neutral and restart it and keep moving.
I think its an electrical issue because everything shuts off, the engine doesnt break down. Also sometimes itll cut off and come right back on within the same second. I think something may be loose or something. Someone even gave me a ideal that something may be loose where you put the key in but i havent looked into it yet.

The car was in a head on collision and the issue started about a month after that. The collision wasnt that bad it only damaged as far back as the radiator. 3 people looked at it and even had it hooked up to a computer and it showed nothing.

Please help!!!!!! THANKS

danielsatur
07-15-2011, 10:36 AM
1) How old is the battery?
2) Have a load test on the battery + alternator @ the local auto parts store for free.
3) Replace fuel filter + have a fuel pressure test done.
4) Roll the fuse pump relay with another relay of same type.

somick
07-15-2011, 12:17 PM
There is a ground wire somewhere under battery. It could get damaged during collision. Check it out.

Another known issue is a bad electrical portion of the ignition switch. As far as I remember somebody replaced it and had no problems ever since.

Search this site for procedures.

Good luck,

Sam

BullShifter
07-16-2011, 02:40 PM
Sounds like a bad ignition switch to me. When the engine is running try jiggling the key around to see of the engine dies. If it does then you know it's the electrical portion of the ignition switch. Very common problem with those cars.

Add your comment to this topic!