thumping sound in front driver side

4x4junkie
07-11-2011, 08:22 PM
I have started hearing a thumping sound from the driver side front wheel well. It sounds identical to a tire with a broken belt in it. While driving down the road at speeds above 15 MPH it gets louder and faster with the vehicle speed increasing. The only time the sound stops is while turning at roadway speeds, it did the exact same thing a few months ago and when I rotated the tires it stopped. This time i tried rotating tires but it did not help so I then replaced my tires as they had high milage and the tread was about 75-80% worn and due for replacement anyways.
Today I had the wheels off and inspected the brakes, rotors, drive axles (there was no up down or side to side movement) and have found nothing to implicate what part might be failing. It was 100 degrees here today and 110 heat index, so i stopped before removing the ABS sensor to check the color of the grease in the wheel bearing hub assembly but there appeaed to be no movement in the bearings and the sound dioes not start until i reach speeds of 15 MPH or above.

Open to more suggestions before replacing parts.... i intend to check the wheel bearing grease color tomorrow.

4x4junkie
07-11-2011, 08:25 PM
2000 chevy silverado 2500 4x4 6.0L extended cab.... this has the auto, 4hi,2WD,4Low selector..... I do NOT use 4X4 on roadways unless completely covered in snow.

j cAT
07-12-2011, 07:46 AM
2000 chevy silverado 2500 4x4 6.0L extended cab.... this has the auto, 4hi,2WD,4Low selector..... I do NOT use 4X4 on roadways unless completely covered in snow.

what about the steering wheel ?

this can be axles if the steering wheel is not effected...

jack the front off the ground. then place wooded blocks under the lower control arms... with the cv axles straight rotate the hubs..

4x4junkie
07-12-2011, 08:56 PM
well there is no play what so ever in the steering wheel, and no vibrations. I removed the ABS sensors and the color of the grease is blue inside. i even took a very small clean screwdriver inserted into hole and tried to stir up another color, no other color appeared.

4x4junkie
07-12-2011, 09:20 PM
it appears its time to focus on the axles condition, so i will post back info after straightening up the axle and again checking for wear.

4x4junkie
07-13-2011, 07:31 PM
ok problem resolved, as was previously expected the problem was the wheel bearing........ with everything removed from hub including axle I still had no play in the bearing, out of curiosity I tapped the side of the hub with a hammer then and only then did the bearing start wobbling and moving freely when pressed against...

Add your comment to this topic!