Rear Speakers Not Working

NWFD22
07-11-2011, 03:48 PM
2002 PONTIAC GRAND PRIX

I just replaced my stock stereo, for a Pioneer DEH1300-MP, which worked perfectly in my previous vehicle. When I installed the Pioneer into my grand prix, i noticed my rear speakers are not working. I have double and tripple checked my wiring, they are both matched up correctly however i am still only getting sound out of my front speakers. The rear speakers did work prior to switching out to the pioneer, and like i said, the pioneer and all speakers worked fine in my previous vehicle... any and all suggestions, would be greatly appreciated! thank you.

Moppie
07-11-2011, 05:30 PM
Have you checked the fader on the stereo?

The car doesn't have a factory fitted Amp does it?

NWFD22
07-11-2011, 05:55 PM
Have you checked the fader on the stereo?

The car doesn't have a factory fitted Amp does it?

yes i have checked the fader on the stereo, all the way to the rear, and i get no sound, 0 balance and its all in the front.

dont know about an amp, possibly.

Moppie
07-11-2011, 06:09 PM
yes i have checked the fader on the stereo, all the way to the rear, and i get no sound, 0 balance and its all in the front.

dont know about an amp, possibly.

Would also be worth checking the ohms on the factory speakers, and if they are in the range of the new head unit.

Could also be something simple like a wire is grounding when you push the head unit back in.

I've had this happen before, a bit of the under dash frame was interfering with a connection, prising it apart and grounding the speakers.

NWFD22
07-11-2011, 06:13 PM
Would also be worth checking the ohms on the factory speakers, and if they are in the range of the new head unit.

Could also be something simple like a wire is grounding when you push the head unit back in.

I've had this happen before, a bit of the under dash frame was interfering with a connection, prising it apart and grounding the speakers.

well maybe ill try taking it back out and wrapping all connections, was a quick job with rubber coated splicers, so grounding out could possibly be an issue. but the speakers are also stock, im pretty sure, so maybe theyre just not compatible with the stereo.

Moppie
07-11-2011, 06:36 PM
well maybe ill try taking it back out and wrapping all connections, was a quick job with rubber coated splicers, so grounding out could possibly be an issue. but the speakers are also stock, im pretty sure, so maybe theyre just not compatible with the stereo.

Those rubber coated splicers can slip and move when you push everything back in.

Stock speakers should work with an aftermarket stereo, unless the car also has a factory AMP. Then they may not work :cool:

NWFD22
07-11-2011, 06:43 PM
Those rubber coated splicers can slip and move when you push everything back in.

Stock speakers should work with an aftermarket stereo, unless the car also has a factory AMP. Then they may not work :cool:

okay well then maybe i need to look into some new speakers! lol im pretty sure the stock stereo did have an am pon the side of it...my aftermarket one does as well but it didnt look like much.

richtazz
07-12-2011, 02:08 PM
NWFD22,

Send me a PM with the last 8 digits of your VIN# I can run it for you to let you know if your car has the factory amp. If you have the Monsoon or Bose system it does have the factory amp and you will have to bypass the amp or run new wires to the rear speakers to get them to work with your aftermarket radio.

TDWPgtp
07-12-2011, 10:17 PM
if he had a factory amp, then none of his speakers would be working... not just the rear. if its not the wiring then i would think its simply bad channels on the head unit or bad speakers. one thing you could do is wire up any extra KNOWN WORKING speaker you have to the rear channels on the head unit. if it works, then the problem lies between your wiring and your speakers. if it doesnt, then its the rear channels on the amp. if you do use another speaker to test the channel, keep the head unit on low volume as not to blow the speaker or damage the head unit

richtazz
07-14-2011, 12:13 PM
The OP stated in post #1 that the rear speakers worked in this car prior to the head unit swap, and the head unit worked on all 4 channels prior to installing it in this car. There is a separate low frequency amp mounted in the rear shelf for the rear speakers only (on cars with the BOSE system) which will cause the rear speakers to not function with an aftermarket radio.

TDWPgtp
07-14-2011, 10:51 PM
i know, i was just wondering if he may have shorted something out during the install or something. and ive never seen a separate amp for stock and rear speakers before. usually its just one amp for all of them. my mistake

richtazz
07-18-2011, 09:51 AM
np TDW, I was just clarifying for the OP so as not to get him confused.

Add your comment to this topic!