97 Riv - Belt tensioner pulley noisy

edwinn
07-10-2011, 10:34 PM
The bearing on the belt tensioner pulley has become noisy. I diagnosed the problem using a broomstick handle, pressing one end onto the pulley center bolt and sticking the other end in my ear. Sure enough the bearing was shrieking. Also hit it with WD40 and that quieted the noise, but that spray can ruin the belt. It also spatters all over the place. The bearing was quiet till the next morning.. then noisy again.

Can the pulley and bearing be replaced? or is GM going to force me to buy the whole tensioner assy? That would be a PITA since heater hoses connect to the tensioner? I'm going to be steamed if this simple pulley bearing costs 500 bucks to replace!!

-Ed

procaddytech
07-11-2011, 01:40 AM
The pulley can be removed and transferred to the tensioner assembly if you do not feel like changing out the complete tensioner. Locate a used tensioner and remove the pulley or see if there is a store that stocks a pulley of the same diameter and width.

edwinn
07-11-2011, 06:30 AM
The pulley can be removed and transferred to the tensioner assembly if you do not feel like changing out the complete tensioner. Locate a used tensioner and remove the pulley or see if there is a store that stocks a pulley of the same diameter and width.

I found a mechanic that quoted a new pulley while leaving the existing tensioner in place. I'm traveling on the job and cannot do the work myself. Fortunately the vehicle is still drivable.

-Ed

edwinn
07-29-2011, 11:26 PM
On 7-12-2011 after 5 PM while commuting home on the expressway, the tensioner pulley failed (bearing froze and it turned sideways) and the serpentine belt came off. Lost all accessories.. water pump, steering pump and alternator. Here is a view of the failed bearing:

http://home.comcast.net/~edwinn/IMG_0251_0712.jpg

On 07-14-2011 the mechanic replaced the pulley, and I had him replace the belt while at it. He installed a Goodyear Gator-back belt which runs very quietly.

http://home.comcast.net/~edwinn/IMG_0257_0714.jpg

So the problem is fixed now... except for one issue (see next post.)

-Ed

Add your comment to this topic!