Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Pump works but no fuel at motor???

ljkremer
07-10-2011, 11:34 AM
Alright so I got a 96 grand am 2.4L. It starts and then dies immediately. I took the fuel line off after the the filter and turned the ignition switch on and fuel sprayed. The problem is there must not be fuel getting to the motor because if i poor fuel in by hand the car will run. If I don't it kills. i need help? any replys would be greatly appreciated.

danielsatur
07-10-2011, 11:45 AM
Need to check the fuel pressure @ the shrader valve on fuel rail with the kOEO.

Even though fuel pump seems to work, it might not be the right pressure.

Did you check the fuel filter + screen in the tank?

jdl
07-10-2011, 12:20 PM
Another thought is your security system. When it starts and dies, is the security lite on or flashing?

ljkremer
07-10-2011, 12:36 PM
i wouldn't think it would be the filter because there was a ton of fuel spraying out of the filter when i turned the ignition forward, so there is fuel there. as for the security issue it could be possible. the cluster doesn't even work. all the lights are on except for the blinker lights which still work and none of the guages move. i would think that this is related to security but the cluster hasn't worked since i owned the car and it ran fine before. interesting. good call on checking the pressure at the rail

procaddytech
07-10-2011, 01:01 PM
It does sound like the security system is disabling fuel injection. Try to relearn the theft password. It is a simple enough procedure:
•Insure that the battery is fully charged.
•Turn the ignition switch from the OFF position to the CRANK position attempting to start the vehicle. The vehicle will start and then stall.
•Leave the ignition switch in the ON position while observing the security indicator.
•When the security indicator turns off, which can take up to 10 minutes, turn the ignition switch off. Wait 10 seconds.
The BCM and the PCM will learn the new code on the next start attempt.
Also, the fuel pressure spec. for your vehicle is 41-47 psi. if you decide to check it.

jdl
07-10-2011, 01:02 PM
Makes it tough without security lite, trouble codes, or something?

You could try the relearn procedure, don't know if it will work? Try to start, leave key in on position for 10 minutes, cycle the key, Repeat the procedure twice more for a total of 30 minutes. The last on--off cycle of key, the relearn should be complete.

Check for trouble codes. At the least, you need an obd2 code reader.

ljkremer
07-10-2011, 07:17 PM
could it be ecu?

thephantom1492
07-11-2011, 02:00 AM
As they said, you have a classic security issues.

What the security feature of GM do is it cut the injectors.

Is the security light blinking? if not, check your fuses. if all fine, be sure that the security light turn on for an instant when you put the key to on (when all the lights turns on), if it do not come on then you have a faulty security bulb...

procaddytech
07-11-2011, 02:11 AM
The Instrument Panel Cluster is a part of the Passlock system on your car. The logic part of the cluster that interprets the passlock code may have gone bad with the rest of the cluster.

thephantom1492
07-11-2011, 03:08 AM
The Instrument Panel Cluster is a part of the Passlock system on your car. The logic part of the cluster that interprets the passlock code may have gone bad with the rest of the cluster.

Actually, no
The IC is not part of the passlock.
The passlock is the ignition key assembly and the BCM.
Some magnet is on top of the pins in the ignition key stuff. An hall sensor sit on top. the hall sensor make a resistance, that is read by the BCM. The BCM compare the result with the stored in memory. If there is a match it send a password to the PCM to unlock the injectors. In case of a mismatch it just send a "turn security light on" signal to the IC, which reply nothing. A missing IC will not cause anything.

procaddytech
07-11-2011, 05:18 AM
From GM Service Information:
The Theft Deterrent System, called a Passlock System, is designed to prevent vehicle theft by disabling the engine unless the Passlock lock cylinder is correctly engaged by a mechanical key. The Passlock System utilizes four components theft detection, the lock cylinder, ignition switch, electronic Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC), and the Powertrain Control Module (PCM).

When starting the engine, the PCM looks for a password from the Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC) through the UART serial data circuit. If the password is not recognized or not present, the PCM will disable the engine. There are two modes of tamper detection:

• Short Tamper Mode--Engine may start and stall quickly. THEFT SYSTEM telltale will flash on the IPC for 4 seconds.

• Long Tamper Mode (More than three starting attempts or an invalid password is received)--The engine is disabled for at least 10 minutes and the THEFT SYSTEM telltale will flash on the IPC for the 10 minutes.

In order for a theft deterrent vehicle to run, a password is communicated between the Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC) and the PCM. If a PCM is replaced, the new PCM needs to learn the correct password of the vehicle. When the new PCM is installed, the EEPROM calibration is flashed into the new PCM and the vehicle will learn the new password upon initial ignition ON. If the IPC is replaced, the PCM needs to learn the new password from the IPC. The password learn procedure is as follows:

•Attempt to start vehicle, then leave the ignition ON. The THEFT SYSTEM telltale will flash for 10 minutes.
•When the THEFT SYSTEM telltale stops flashing, start the vehicle. Once the vehicle is running, the password is learned.

The IPC must be able to communicate.

evo-00
07-16-2011, 12:52 PM
Could be passlock in the cluster or passlock in the ignition. both cause the security issue. the cluster IS part of the passlock on a 96.

procaddytech
07-16-2011, 05:57 PM
Normally, I would almost guarantee a passlock cylinder, but the cluster not working properly raises other concerns. Have you tried relearning the theft yet? If it learns and works I would probably go ahead with a Passlock sensor (p/o ignition lock cylinder). Check the PRNDL fuse and the INST fuse in the fuse block as well like mentioned earlier. Try to check for PCM codes. Either a P1629 or P1601 would be good indicators of what might be going on.

Add your comment to this topic!