Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Air bag conversion, anyone done it?

williz57
07-09-2011, 12:06 PM
Has anyone here added "in spring" air bags instead of replacing air leveling shocks due to bladder air leak? The caddy guys aren't much help & I knoew the Riv's & Aurora's are very similar to my Eldorado/Seville/Deville that share close to the same chassis platforms but have differences.

I can't see the logic in tossing out a working variable valve electronic shock because the air bladder leaks. These RSS shocks are $600 ea for the part. It actually hurts thinking about spending that amount.

I am aware of passive struts out there but they handicap the fancy road sensing suspension that is working well except for a saggy rear.

Has anyone here considered this sort of thing?

It could be tied into the current leveling compressor system that is working well but I unplugged it.
I could then just leave the shocks in place with this.

These bags work in an operating range of 5 to 35 psi and the OEM systems operate normally at aprox. 15psi
Seems like a cheap solution in my case. It would be nice to find someone who actually did this and had pro's & con's

Instruction & applications here
http://www.jegs.com/i/Air-Lift/022/60798/10002/-1?parentProductId=743887
I posted in the Riviera forum but I was the first activity in 40 days. & the Gran Prix forum I was alerted to the suspension differences not being compatible.,

93pb
07-09-2011, 05:12 PM
If your go to NAPA they stock these replacement air shocks, they are very economical. I think I only paid around 100bucks each and worked great. Still in the car after about 2 years now.

williz57
07-09-2011, 06:28 PM
If your go to NAPA they stock these replacement air shocks, they are very economical. I think I only paid around 100bucks each and worked great. Still in the car after about 2 years now. If they are only $100 they are a retro fit shock that is a non functioning "passive shock" that no longer has the OEM variable function.

The body controllers are fooled into thinking all is well by a resistor simulating a fixed signal and the "real time" function is defunct and won't set defect code data.

The systems that are effected & conntrolled by this are variable effort steering-brakes/ABS-TC/powertrain & not just the shock dampning.

This suspension system is the best of both worlds & still affords the Cadiallc ride. I really works slick. I know the same system is on the other "like" GM cars by another name.

Arnott-Suncore-Strutmasters are all non functioning "passive" shocks/struts and cause disability in the RSS/CVRSS System. They have the "fake" resistor instead of a electro/hydraulic/solinoid valving action.

You won't foind them from anywhere but ACDelco & Monroe but need to verify the compatibility with the RSS/CVRSS system.

This is the OEM solinoid that regulates hydraulic flow action in the shock. The passive shocks have a resistor in its place you plug into.
http://i826.photobucket.com/albums/zz183/billytheshoe/web%20pictures/7fdd8869.jpg

Moppie
07-09-2011, 06:31 PM
If they are only $100 they are a retro fit shock that is a non functioning "passive shock" that no longer has the OEM variable function.

The body controllers are fooled into thinking all is well by a resistor simulating a fixed signal and the "real time" function is defunct and won't set defect code data.

The systems that are effected & conntrolled by this are variable effort steering-brakes/ABS-TC/powertrain & not just the shock dampning.

This suspension system is the best of both worlds & still affords the Cadiallc ride. I really works slick. I know the same system is on the other "like" GM cars by another name.

Arnott-Suncore-Strutmasters are all non functioning "passive" shocks/struts and cause disability in the RSS/CVRSS System. They have the "fake" resistor instead of a electro/hydraulic/solinoid valving action.

You won't foind them from anywhere but ACDelco & Monroe but need to verify the compatibility with the RSS/CVRSS system.

This is the solinoid that regulates hydraulic flow action in the shock. The passive shocks have a resistor in its place.
http://i826.photobucket.com/albums/zz183/billytheshoe/web%20pictures/7fdd8869.jpg

It really does sound like the only way to get the system to work as designed, is to fit the correct shocks.
An expensive option, but the only one guaranteed to work properly with the rest of the cars systems.

williz57
07-09-2011, 06:39 PM
Don't get me wrong, the new passive shock/struts are fine & will ride well but it defeats the purpose if ajustable capabilities especially in evasive or spirited driving condidtion. I can't see giving up the design feature due to a air leak.

The thing is this is standard equipment on 94' & up Seville/Eldorado & they all have variations of it as the system developed as years went on.

Moppie
07-09-2011, 07:27 PM
Don't get me wrong, the new passive shock/struts are fine & will ride well but it defeats the purpose if ajustable capabilities especially in evasive or spirited driving condidtion. I can't see giving up the design feature due to a air leak.

The thing is this is standard equipment on 94' & up Seville/Eldorado & they all have variations of it as the system developed as years went on.

Can you get them rebuilt?

Old Rolls Royce cars have a similar system but, using Hydraulic fluid.
The shocks suffer similar problems and the cars sag.
New shocks also costs extreme sums of money, but there are shock experts who are able to rebuild them. Replace all the seals etc.

williz57
07-09-2011, 07:36 PM
I know Arnott re-bag them but only with the total shock rebuild as a gas shock and they delete the valving function. I believe Suncore adds a helper spring.

Moppie
07-09-2011, 07:55 PM
I know Arnott re-bag them but only with the total shock rebuild as a gas shock and they delete the valving function. I believe Suncore adds a helper spring.

Have you asked about just getting them rebagged?

williz57
07-09-2011, 07:58 PM
There is a problem buying online in that vendors are using tricky language Like "fully compatable" & "works with self adjusting suspenions" while that applies to the air leveling It isn't compatible with the active road sensing function.

I have e- mailed many vendor/techs ads with these inaccuracies and have never got a verification of "fully compatible". to then it means the air leveling, to me the shock variable dampening function is is more important. This is why anything under $500 a shock is subject to scrutiny;

The only way to be sure is buying ACDelco which I suspect Monroe was the original manufaturer but that is not verified.

http://www.rmsautoparts.com/proddetail.php?prod=580-108
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php?catalog=305&partnum=580107&a=FR305-580107-84532

http://www.suncoreindustries.com/CADILLAC-ELDORADO-1994-1996-suspension.php

Add your comment to this topic!