Removing Pontiac Montana Brake Drum

advizo
07-07-2011, 01:32 PM
I am trying to check rear brakes on my 1999 Pontiac Montana but not able to get the drum off. I could really use some help!

danielsatur
07-07-2011, 01:46 PM
There's probably groves worn in the pads & drums, that are locking them on, try a big hammer!

Also see Similar threads at the bottom of yours.

1999montana
07-10-2011, 09:42 AM
I am trying to check rear brakes on my 1999 Pontiac Montana but not able to get the drum off. I could really use some help!

I've placed a large screwdriver on the bottom of the drum prying against the axle mount on the axle and tapping the top of the drum from behind with a large hammer. It loosens the drum up and breaks the shoes loose of the small ridge that may be inside the drum. Then I re-seat it, rotate it 90 degrees and do it again.

I've had to move the drum in and out (re-seating it a few times) before it will finally come off. Might also be a small amount of rust build-up on the hub that prevents the drum from coming off too.

Working it off a bit, re-seating it and rotating and trying on a different quadrant of the drum should allow it to come off. Once it is off, it usually slips right back on, so I wonder if it is rust that makes the difference between easy removal and a PITA.

Just don't whack it with the hammer, you could break the edge off the drum!

danielsatur
07-10-2011, 06:31 PM
If the drums have groves, it's probably best to buy on ebay!

rkvons
07-11-2011, 12:32 PM
There's at least two issues with brake drum removal. One is the drum is fused to the hub. When this is true, the drum will not budge. I hate this. For this, I take a piece of 2X4 wood and place the edge of the wood on the back edge of the drum and hit it really hard with a big hammer. I lay on the ground behind the wheel, place the wood edge on the back, bottom part of the drum with the wood parallel with the vehicle and I swing the hammer from the center of the vehicle towards the outside and hit the wood. Then I rotate it and do it again, until it pops loose. You'll be able to tell. I take some WD-40 and spray it around the seem between the hub and drum as I'm doing this. The second issue is groves from the shoes. For this, I pry it off with a flat crow bar. Sometimes the little spring pins that hold the shoes in will break, but I just put new ones on when I change them. I never turn the rotors. I just put new ones on that I've painted several coats of hammered-metal black (Rustoleum). They look good for 8 years.

Add your comment to this topic!