1996 B2500 Ram Van Fuel Odor

beezerjuice
07-06-2011, 06:56 PM
A friend of mine has a '96 conversion van (3.9 V-6) and is smelling fuel odors on the inside when the van is parked. Vehicle is in central Arizona, 4500 ft elevation. A local Dodge dealer did a diagnostic and no faults, such as a CAN-P solenoid were found. The gas cap is sealing OK and and there is no visible leakage from the filler pipe. The fuel filter was replaced and when the tank was dropped, a cursory inspection showed no obvious vent hose problems. I could not smell fuel odor inside, but did notice that when I crawled underneath and sniffed around the (plastic) fuel tank, I could smell fuel when I put my nose to the tank. But, there did not appear to be any evidence of fuel leakage. Some misc p/m work was done including spark plugs, PCV valve, dist cap and replacement of one injector.
So, how do we proceed?

danielsatur
07-06-2011, 07:24 PM
I'am not sure in 1996, if the OBDII system was smart enough to pick up a EVAP problem. n/a

A smoke machine test can help pinpoint problems with the EVAP system.

beezerjuice
07-07-2011, 05:54 AM
What is the smoke machine test?

danielsatur
07-07-2011, 07:41 AM
See YouTube, see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKVq2BjG1X0

Suspect bad rubber hoses, because of age.

beezerjuice
07-07-2011, 05:45 PM
I see how it works. Could the smoke machine be hooked up to the fuel filler to find leaks in the vent hoses on the top of the tank? Or a leak in the rubber bushing that seals the filler to the tank?

Add your comment to this topic!