Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

How to fix Exhaust Leak???

1994cavalier
07-05-2011, 06:06 PM
I have a 1994 Cavalier 2.2 Liter. I've recently have had an exhaust leak where the flange from the down pipe meets the manifold. After thinking the exhaust leak was coming from the manifold; bc I thought there was a crack in it which there wasn't.The type of gasket thats used is the doughnut type. It is leaking right at this spot.

What could be causing this? the bolts are still good; did not break off or crack at all when I removed them, and the springs still look good...what could be causing exhaust to still leak?? does it need new springs?? im baffled.... does the doughnut gasket have to sit a certain way?? if anyone can give advice it would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you!

danielsatur
07-05-2011, 06:20 PM
You might consider a local muffler shop, because they got a lift and all the right tools.

1994cavalier
07-05-2011, 06:26 PM
You might consider a local muffler shop, because they got a lift and all the right tools.

thank you for you're input, but that is not needed. i was just wondering why after a new gasket was put into place that this is still happening. ive done all the work myself, better than any shop could do, so why else would it leak?? is what i would like to know!!

manifold and flange and pipe are all in good condition

danielsatur
07-05-2011, 06:38 PM
It could be back pressure from a plugged CAT, a muffler shop can do a back pressure test on your catalytic converter.

If DIY, do a Google ''Youtube Auto catalytic converter test''

1994cavalier
07-05-2011, 07:06 PM
It could be back pressure from a plugged CAT, a muffler shop can do a back pressure test on your catalytic converter.

If DIY, do a Google ''Youtube Auto catalytic converter test''

put a brand new stainless steel cat on the exhaust system..impossible unless cat already clogged, impossible.

danielsatur
07-05-2011, 07:13 PM
Is the whole exhaust system new, or could there be blockage down stream?

1994cavalier
07-05-2011, 07:15 PM
Is the whiole exhaust system new, or could there be blockage down stream?

all new exhaust from the cat back.

danielsatur
07-05-2011, 07:22 PM
It sounds like your doughnut gasket isn't setting right!

1994cavalier
07-05-2011, 07:25 PM
It sounds like your doughnut gasket isn't setting right!

OK. is there any proper Procedure for making it set into place? ive spinned it with my fingers all the way around and it doesnt have a setting....

the gasket is the right size, this is a fact. Although the most important piece of information i can give is when the bolts are tightened all the way the gasket can still spin with my fingers...

danielsatur
07-05-2011, 08:06 PM
It shouldn't spin after you tightened it!
Doe's the exhaust flange use bolts, or nuts?

If nuts, or bolts you might need to add some washers, berfor the nuts so you can torque thr exhaust flange down proper.

1994cavalier
07-05-2011, 08:09 PM
It shouldn't spin after you tightened it!
Doe's the exhaust flange use bolts, or nuts?

If nuts, you might need to add some washers, berfor the nuts so you can torque thr exhaust flange down proper.

both nuts and bolts. on one of them the but will thread loose and on the ohter one the nut is seized on....maybe the springs are worn out then?? they look new though..

danielsatur
07-05-2011, 08:14 PM
Can you push the exhaust header into the exhaust manifold?

1994cavalier
07-05-2011, 08:23 PM
Can you push the exhaust header into the exhaust manifold?

my car has a manifold. do you mean can i push the flange into the manifold??

1994cavalier
07-06-2011, 06:49 PM
ok problem solved. GOD DAMNIT i had the damn gasket in upside down! well first time ive worked on exhaust system pretty much. make sure the doughnut goes on the right way and that it goes in evenly. and all is good now. thanks everyone though for youre inputs.

Greg

danielsatur
07-06-2011, 07:18 PM
There's very few DIY exhaust technicans, I usually buy my own mufflers, catalytic converters, and H02 sensors as needed Online & let the muffler shops do the install.

denisond3
07-09-2011, 06:19 AM
Thanks much for the feedback. Nice to know you got it fixed, and nice for the rest of us to know what to look out for.

Add your comment to this topic!